• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

P0715 Diagnosis Input

Lawsoncl,

Doh! So the sensor called "input speed sensor" doesn't actually measure the input shaft speed, and we've been chasing a red herring....

Ha! spot on! Sadly now I can really feel this Jeep is just laughing at my vain attempts to fix it :)

Update: I was able to grind down the input transmission sensor flange a bit, sanded down the mounting surface on the side of the tranny, and I also closed the connectors a bit on the TCU plug since they were a little widened. Right away I noticed an increase in the induced voltage as the sensor picked up the reluctor notches on the OD clutch drum. I tried to get in there and look as well and the notches do not look damaged to me nor would I think they could get damaged because it looks like a 1 piece casting.

Took the rig out for a test drive and hooked up the volt meter to measure AC voltage as I drove. Everything was good and the numbers displayed corresponded with all the shifts and accelerations. However, I think I was able to capture the exact time the Check Engine comes on and I would just like to share. I am positive this is only happening in D shift position.

With the shifter in D, traveling over 35+ when the TCC locks up I noticed when I slow down applying brakes and then letting off the brake to coast to about 20-25 mph when the truck shifts into 2nd the signal drops and stays at about 0.05 VAC until I come to a complete stop and start going again. This was when the light triggered. My brake switch appears to be working properly but maybe the TC is not unlocking or re-locking since it mimics the voltage in the OD condition.

Next steps I guess would be check the brake switch signal input at TCU at set condition, Pressure test the pump at idle for spec pressure, Monitor NSS D 12v signal during set condition.

For reference this is the procedure I used to diagnose:

http://www.zinref.ru/avtomobili/Jeep/100_10_00_Jeep_XJ_2001_year_manual_ENGLISH/889.htm

:rof:

One year and some change in the making rebuilt everything inside the slushbox. When working in the valve body, 3-4 shift valve cap was broken and spring was not in spec. It was binding during the down shift on OD back into 3rd. Next time, start with the easy stuff first saves you a lot of time. Lol

It's going back in hopefully this weekend and we will see if it finally works. Or if it will explode.

The trick is to maintain a methodical steady pace while diagnosing. Sounds like you probably got it this time. Good luck!

And thanks for posting up everything. It will help the next guy down the road.

Back