• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

KOH 2018, 4600 10 Day Build

GMR_CO

NAXJA Forum User
Gear Monkey Racing is building a Jeep Cherokee to compete in the 4600 Class of the Ultra4 series, with our first race being KOH. The Difference for us is we will be doing 90% of the build in 10 days about 3 weeks prior to KOH 2018. We are assembling all of the parts and getting most of the prep-work completed now. Check us out at gearmonkeyracing.com we are a group of guys that have a passion for cars but specifically Jeeps. We are setting out on this adventure, that has been a dream for us for a long time and we are finally in a position to pull it off.

Here is what we have so far:
-1997 Jeep Cherokee w/AX-15
-4.0L Motor built by 505 performance
-Tires from TreadWright Tire in Huston TX
-Cage is being built by Hooligan Off-road in Denver Colorado
Hooligan frame stiffeners
Hooligan boat sliders
Front Dana 44 5.13 gears
Atlas 5:1 transfer case

What we have done to the Jeep so far:
-Motor Pulled
-Transmission Pulled
-Exhaust pulled
-Stripped interior

Current Sponsors:
TreadWright Tire
http://www.treadwright.com/?afmc=3m
Hooligan Off-Road
https://www.hooliganoffroad.com
King Off-road Parts
http://kingoffroadparts.com
Kargoe
https://kargoe.com
Filthyaddiction off-road
https://m.facebook.com/FilthyAddictionsOffRoad/
Iron man 4x4 Fab
https://www.ironman4x4fab.com

If anyone here is willing to help out with suggestions,parts for sale or for donation,$,or know companies that would be a good fit to this project please let us know.

The final part of this adventure is a documentary/short film that we will be completing to share the process for what it takes to race in the stock class and how it looks getting there. We want to highlight the Made in America companies and all the teams that make this race great and that have made this dream a reality. Our current plan is to race in a number of races next year and continue to do more the following year.

We will try to keep updates rolling as we make progress and our momentum grows. Let us know what you think.

Thanks,

GMR

If I can offer you some sage advice after many of these races.

See if you can sell that Atlas 5:1 and buy a 3.8, or 3.0. Or even a 2.0.

And that 505 engine, I would trade that in for a very low mile late model 4.0. Seen a few create major headaches in both KOH and Glen Helen.

Just some input , mostly engine related, is the fact that a Stock 4.0 has finished regularly in the top 2 thru 5 in Modified.... Oh and 2 years of that 5 year stint with top 2-5 it was because of a "stroker" or "hott" engine build that was tested many times, "died" a week up to a day before the race and a stock engine was swapped in for the race...

You must first finish, to finish first...

And cal is on par.

I was going to comment on the 505 problems, but decided to be nice.

But yes, 505 motors seem to come apart a lot.

This didn't go so well on Pirate, so maybe we can see the fukkery happen here :laugh:

10 Day build...posted months before the race.

If anyone here is willing to help out with suggestions,parts for sale or for donation,$,or know companies that would be a good fit to this project please let us know.

Most people are going to not so politely tell you to pound sand as far as that goes.

Handout and a race vehicle don't go together, unless you've well proven yourself to be decently competitive, with good parts to accompany what might be "offered".

I wonder if I'm the only one looking at a deleted thread link on pirate right now.

I wonder if I'm the only one looking at a deleted thread link on pirate right now.

Nope.

Tried looking at it to see the fun that went down, but they're thread is no longer on Pirate ironically enough :laugh:

Pirate didn't take to kindly to an under-planned, random, no experience, handout asking race group.

Yeah, ask they guys who spend countless hours building, researching, etc. that pay every dime out of pocket...for handouts on a "10 day build".

Well, and considering there is already a team planning to build their car *on the lakebed* for 2018 KOH, with support of Ultra4 and big vendors.. ;)

Well, and considering there is already a team planning to build their car *on the lakebed* for 2018 KOH, with support of Ultra4 and big vendors.. ;)

Yeah, big difference.

Or, I'f you've well proven yourself to show up and race in the EMC class, maybe not big winds but strong finished, and want to step up to the 4400 class.

Then when the contacting of vendors, etc. should start to occur.

Otherwise it's just a gofundme for a group of dudes who want to play go fast.

I'm sure there's 1000 of freind groups of wheelers that would take donations to go try playing go fast.

Quite a few of those group would probably stand a much better chance since they've build pretty well caliber'd rigs.

Two weeks and they haven't revisited the thread.

10 day build should be done by now..

Not on chevy leafs.. ;)

Where did I read that they were doing that? this same thread existed on a bunch of forums, some of the others have had a few responses from them.

A better plan is to finish it ASAP, start racing every local event you can go to for seat time, monthly, and rebuild the car before KOH with fresh parts.

Short 3-4 mile race courses like dritriot allow you to do the same laps over and over. You get more comfortable driving the same terrain faster and faster and learn the limits of the car.

Your plan is a waist of an entry fee and fuel getting an unprepared project to the lake bed.

The odds are against us and the situation is grim. Damn the torpedoes.

The odds are against us and the situation is grim. Damn the torpedoes.

Considering the first year of 4600, we hadn't started building our car yet at this point..

The odds aren't that against anyone, if they actually want to complete and compete.

Considering the first year of 4600, we hadn't started building our car yet at this point..

The odds aren't that against anyone, if they actually want to complete and compete.

I was more talking from their perspective and how they should persevere despite the negative atmosphere. It's more fun taking the hard line.

Back