• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 wheel drive release question??

Lewis

NAXJA Forum User
Hello guys.I have a question regarding the 4 WD drive system.
I have a 1995 Cherokee with 4.0 H.O. and automatic.
When I am driving down the road at any speed and I shift from 4 high to 2 high,the 4 WD does not release for about 300-400 ft of driving,sometimes more,and when it does release there is a loud clunk from the front axle.
It always releases,but it used to do it nice and smoothly.
There are no unusual noises while in 4 wd and it seems to work perfectly.
Just a loud clunk,after shifting from 4 high to 2 high.
Is there a vaccum shift motor that could be getting sluggish?
Any ideas on the clunk??
I have owned this Jeep for 5 years and this is something new.

Lewis said:
Hello guys.I have a question regarding the 4 WD drive system.
I have a 1995 Cherokee with 4.0 H.O. and automatic.
When I am driving down the road at any speed and I shift from 4 high to 2 high,the 4 WD does not release for about 300-400 ft of driving,sometimes more,and when it does release there is a loud clunk from the front axle.
It always releases,but it used to do it nice and smoothly.
There are no unusual noises while in 4 wd and it seems to work perfectly.
Just a loud clunk,after shifting from 4 high to 2 high.
Is there a vaccum shift motor that could be getting sluggish?
Any ideas on the clunk??
I have owned this Jeep for 5 years and this is something new.

Being that yours is a 95 it has no vacuum diconnect. The front axle is always engaged, its the transfer case that dissengages only. As far as taking time to shift, thats normal, in the manual it even says that you may need to go forward and reverse in order to disengage properly. As far as only happening now and never before, well I am at a loss on that one, maybe someone else knows...might be the pads on the shift fork worn out, or just noraml wear and tear..but Im just speculating with this.

XJguy

are your tire pressures equal and is tire wear even?

a slight offset in wheel rotation will cause enough bind to make 4wd difficult to shift in and out of.

I don't know it this is the 'proper method', but it's been working for me.

I had always had the bind issue despite even tire pressure, etc.

Someone on here posted that they put the tranny in Neutral, then shifted into 2WD, then the tranny back to Drive -- has worked every time!

I do this while going at about 10-20 mph.

(also tried the forward/reverse method, but it doesn't always work as well. Besides, who wants to go backwards?)

That's the same thing I do too. Otherwise, mine doesn't alway's come out of 4wd. It's like the tranny keeps pressure on the transfer case and won't let it change. I have the NP242 transfer case if that matters.

If you keep your foot on the accelerator so there is pressure on the splines in the transfer case, it CAN'T shift out of 4WD. After shifting the lever, you need to release the accelerator slightly for a moment to allow the shift to take place.

Also, the process works better with lubrication. Someone else already asked -- when's the last time you changed the fluid in the transfer case?

Mine did the same thing...drained / filled with fresh juice and it got much better. :)

Lou said:
I don't know it this is the 'proper method', but it's been working for me.

I had always had the bind issue despite even tire pressure, etc.

Someone on here posted that they put the tranny in Neutral, then shifted into 2WD, then the tranny back to Drive -- has worked every time!

I do this while going at about 10-20 mph.

(also tried the forward/reverse method, but it doesn't always work as well. Besides, who wants to go backwards?)
This has been the best way I have found to shift out of 4wd also. The only differance I don't worry about the speed, highway or city streets. I just let up on the gas, put tranny in neutral, then throw it into 2wd. I then just put it back in gear and continue down the road. I do the same thing with going into 4wd and it works just as good.

wes98xj said:
I have the same issue with my 98. Would you all agree on the same solution. Check/change t-case fluid?

Yes, check/change fluid, that should help. As many have said, with torque applied, it won't allow it to change as it is only spring pressure to release it. Once I go back to 2wd, then I let off the throttle, then back on. It may take a time or two, but it normally releases it. Seems normal from what I have seen.

in my 99, the 242 pulls the same stunt on me. it certainly helps to keep freshfluid and i try to hit the linkage with a shot of WD every so often. i also found that uneven, mismatched tires, or a slight difference in tire pressure will usually bind her up. i also shift from D to N while rolling, then try to put it 2wd. if that dosnt work i just stop, maybe roll back a little, and sometimes wait until she's good and ready to "pop" into 2wd. and well if that dosnt work, i just keep it in full time and treat it like im drivin a big subaru. trying to push four wheel powerslides and all.

Back