• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ or WJ 4.0l in XJ from previous owner

TheDanShin

NAXJA Forum User
so realized i have a TJ or WJ 4liter in my XJ.

I have searched all over and cant seem to figure out how i need to deal with my water pump issue. Stock XJ water pump is only held in by 3 bolts. I have re sealed it again and rock it for 8-10k then re seal again lol.

I have been freshening this bad boy up and finally want to address this once and for all...

What options do i have for this since the WJ and TJ water pumps have 5 bolts 3 sharing the same mounting as a XJ.

Also wondering if anyone has made motor mount brackets for this swap. im running some thick steel spacers right now for the mount bolts.

Last edited:
You can drill and tap the other bolt holes or have you tried using Permatex Right stuff it's a tough sealant and should not leak . when it dries it will be like rubber not like silicone .

no i havent tried using rightstuff yet since i had tons of silcone left over, i did think about drilling and re tapping as well....

maybe ill try using rightstuff gasketmaker first.

Brown Dog will sell you mounts for the swap as well. Get the proper water pump for the motor. I just walked out and looked at the 04 WJ motor in my 88 and with the 5 bolts securing it to the block, there should be no issue getting it to seal. Does it have the 99+ intake on it? Where's the alternator located?

Back