• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 Pattern Check

I am curious because you lost .003" in your different shim pack changing the backlash, where did that difference come from?

I am curious because you lost .003" in your different shim pack changing the backlash, where did that difference come from?
If you are taking about difference in backlash between the last comparison then all I did was move the thinnest shim from one side of the carrier to the other.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

NRG= .0785
RG= .02055
BS=.008
Pinion shims=.059

If the carrier bearing pre-load was set..............

NRG= .05590
RG= .04165
Pinion= .0355, Add .0204 for the baffle
Backlash= 10

What changed? What's your pinion bearing pre-load? Trying to help but over the internet(w/ bad pics) makes it tough to help w/o 20 questions. I want to suggest hopefully you could contact someone in your chapter that could see what your doing and advise.

Do shops really do these things? -- Kinda sounds like using distilled water in a coolant system -- we all know it's the right way but find me a shop where you have ever seen it done...

I do this in my shop.

The pattern looks pretty good maybe .001 too deep but it has good contact patch so I would run .008 backlash and call it done. .003 in carrier preload isn't going to hurt anything as long as u have enough preload.

You would be amazed at the gearsets coming out of the factories now. Had one just the other day with zero carrier preload as it just fell out out once I pulled the caps. Vehicle had 1200 miles on it

Still playing around to fine tune the pattern. The last 4 pics I posted seem to be the best it's going to get (with as backlash of 10). Nothing has really come close to that since. I was able to find a shop near me that is going to help finilize everything. I'll post final pattern and specs after to help anyone else doing the same thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Did you get pics of the final pattern? I'm working on mine now...

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

He hasn't been on here since this thread!

Back