• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HP D30 Pattern Check

IntrepidXJ

NAXJA Member #647
Here's where I stopped at last night. Give me your opinions. This rig will see a lot of on-road and off-road driving.

backlash is .008

IMG_3913.JPG

IMG_3903.JPG

IMG_3908.JPG

more pictures here if you need them, but some are blurry:

http://myxj.net/g2/v/2000_Build/axles/d30pattern/

I'm thinking the pinion might be a tad too close.....what you think?

Looks about identical to the last 30 I set up....runs nice and quiet too. run it.

Setting a ring and pinion is like doing body work. You can sand and fill and look and sand and fill forever but at some point you have to say I'm done.

The pattern doesnt look bad as shown,but what I dont like is the backlash.I think thats way to loose for a D30.Maybe Rawbrown will chip in with some comments!

Specs are just targets,not really developed for HP but the long run(who cares in a stock vehicle).The gears will open up as they break in,I always shoot for .004"-.006" on a D30.

I shoot for .006. You want on the tight side when gears are new. Like RCP Phx said the backlash will open up after it's broken in. But .008 isn't bad. Again, this is on the front so it's not important for it to be "perfect".

The pattern will change under a load anyway, just lightly pry against the case, and spin it again, that will show the real pattern.....use a prybar, and have someone spin it. backlash is fine, hell the whole pattern is fine, I say just leave it.

Your favorite drivetrain parts supplier...if you don't have one...Randy's Ring and Pinion or Reider Racing are equally good....cost is around 60 bux plus shipping on the last one I bought...BWT the carrier break on a D-30 is 3.73

Back