• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 jeeps way different years, same axles gear swap?

ryurabbit

NAXJA Member #611
My question is this: I have 2 jeeps, a 92 xj 4.0L 5spd, and an 84 2.5l 4spd. The 84 is not running and is getting a V8. The 92 just had a Rustys 4.5" lift and 32x10.50r15 tires put on. Would the 4.10 gears out of my 84 fit and function in my 92? Is there anything to watch out for? TIA!:bunny:

The gears from the front should swap, they're both Dana 35 housings. If you don't want to set up the gears then you could swap the entire axle assembly, the older one may have the vac disconnect but you can work around that. The rear gears will swap if they're both the same type (duh), look for a tag on one of the cover bolts or the number cast into the housing to see if they're the same. Once again, you can just swap the entire assembly if you want. Somebody will probably jump in here to give you more info on the rears, I don't remember what years came with 8.25's, but The '84 is likely to be a D-35. TC

The fronts are D 30,s and will swap, but the 84 may have CV type axles and a vac discconect,not the best set-up for larger tires.
Need more info on the rears,but a complete swap would be possable anyway.
Wayne

There both dana axles so the gears should swap, but I have heard that when the rear axle came with 3.07 gears that the carrier was different. I have a trac-loc carrier and would like to retain that. Also the meat and potatoes of the question goes like this: If I were to swap gears, would they go and would the axles need to be reset up. TIA!:bunny:

Both axles have a carrier break that would require retaining thm with the gears!

so your sayin it cant be done....well then I guess I'm off to the junkyard to find a dana 44 rear and then order some new fronts to match the rear. Hope I can get a 4.10 at the junkyard. Guess I'll have to live with the gears for now. Thanx All!

Back