• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hardest Fix On Your XJ?

Figuring out my oil leak(s). I'd rather buy a junkyard, low mileage motor to put new seals and gaskets on than deal with mine

For me definately the heater core in my 92. Took me three days cause I had too many poorly done electrical addons, like a transmission temperature gauge and switches. I'm glad I learned the hard way because I now buy molex connectors and heatshrink at radioshack and solder everything. Better in the long run anyway.

92 XJ 4.0

1. Cracked Exhaust manifold replacement: Juggling intake and new exhaust manifold with one hand to keep flush on block and trying to line up the bottom bolts with the other. By myself, this job was a feking major PITA.

2. Rear main seal due to 7 snapped rusted oil pan bolts.

Last edited:
Well my old one has been replaced by one I have battled for 3 years now, that still stumps me, so my two old horror stories have been replaced. Hard brake peddle with engine off, soft as mush peddle with engine running. There are no old brake parts left accept the combination valve. Brkaes work, but not too great and the mushy peddle is just not right. I can toss someone through the windshield on a panic stop from 30 mph, but the brakes are still not good enough, and the mush is a sure sign something is still not right.

For me definately the heater core in my 92. .

X2.

I've got a 00' and attempted the heater core and evap this weekend. Saved some cash....hopefully...however, nothing wants to go back together right and the dash is lit up like a christmas tree. Best part is now when I lock the door, the rear wiper turns on. :looney:

Who needs an odometer anyway??? Pshhhh. It's fine.

(But I never, ever, ever, ever want to do this again.)

XJs are funny. Some of the things folks have struggled with, like the exhaust manifold, have been easy for me. But I spent two hours each on a blower motor and a stuck oil filter. Replacing all the door seals was a pita. When I was removing the front axle assembly, it swung sideways and got all sorts of jammed up, taking extra HOURS to get out. But the worst may have been a track bar bolt that was rusted to the bushing. Would have been much easier if I had an oxy acetylene torch.

Most things get easier with practice. It took me some time to do my first t-case swap. After the fourth, I'm pretty quick.

Most aggravating? Months of work to get my power steering to not leak.

Of course, I haven't owned a Jeep for a full year yet!

Paul

92 XJ 4.0

1. Cracked Exhaust manifold replacement: Juggling intake and new exhaust manifold with one hand to keep flush on block and trying to line up the bottom bolts with the other. By myself, this job was a feking major PITA.

2. Rear main seal due to 7 snapped rusted oil pan bolts.

You can put some of the lower bolts on and the nuts for the two studs to hold the exhaust manifold in place, then install the intake and the rest of the bolts.

Mine was fixing the nut behind the wheel.

Mine was fixing the nut behind the wheel.

LOL, that is just NUTS!!!

"But I spent two hours each on a blower motor and a stuck oil filter."

Reminds me of 3 hours my son and I spend trying to remove a rusted battery tray bolt one day on Ford Taurus, LOL. Great father son bonding event LOL :clap:

My hardest fixes where the ones my son helped me with. He is actually a pretty good mechanic, but he has no patience. Instead of taking the time to take it apart in one piece, he uses his muscles instead of his brain, pretty much destroys everything and spends hours trying to fix it.

I'd rather spend an hour trying to loosen a stuck brake line than destroy it, then have to drive all over town trying to find the parts to fix it.

I'd have to say passengers side motor mount, bolts broken off in the block. It all worked out eventually, but was a for real ballbuster. We actually got the broken bolts out without screwing the threads up. I really thought for awhile we were going to have to pull the motor. I may never have to use the close quarter angle drill my son bought ever again, but it was worth every penny of the price. He paid, he was the one who bounced the XJ of the curb and broke the mount.

My bad back sang to me for weeks after that one.

Last edited:
trouble shooting a renix that was running really rough and going through ungoddly amounts of fuel ($30 in two days of idling in the driveway trouble shooting) replaced every sensor all injectors, a cheap tune up, then a top dollar tune up, fuel pressure regulator, eliminated all but three vacuum lines, rebuilt the under hood wiring harness and replaced all crimps with solder, compression tested good, replaced motor anyways, that included new motor mounts, clutch and slave, also new exhaust and cat.

what fixed the problem? a $30 used ecu.

i suspect this will be my solution too.. been through all that already..

You can put some of the lower bolts on and the nuts for the two studs to hold the exhaust manifold in place, then install the intake and the rest of the bolts.

I had a broken stud and did not completely remove the intake. :banghead:

Let's hope I'll be long dead before doing this fix again.:confused1

Removing a bloody oil filter this weekend.

Check out my post, a nightmare on JeepStreet, LOL, or how to remove an oil filter with a 3/4" drive and 3 foot breaker bar, in 3 minutes, when nothing else works, LOL. Photos included. I have never, ever in 45 years had to do anything this wild to remove an oil filter. I'd rather torque head bolts with a 12" torque wrench to 120 ft lbs all day long, than do that 3 minute ball-buster again, LOL.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=246516553#post246516553

Ripped a LCA bracket out of the frame on my XJ. It was pretty easy to diagnose; even in the dark on the trail. Fixing it turned into a long and drawn out process. Sure hope it works.

Last edited:
Removing a bloody oil filter this weekend.

Check out my post, a nightmare on JeepStreet, LOL, or how to remove an oil filter with a 3/4" drive and 3 foot breaker bar, in 3 minutes, when nothing else works, LOL. Photos included. I have never, ever in 45 years had to do anything this wild to remove an oil filter. I'd rather torque head bolts with a 12" torque wrench to 120 ft lbs all day long, than do that 3 minute ball-buster again, LOL.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=246516553#post246516553

I hear you...had Generac generator oil filter removal minor drama this weekend...and BTW, XJ's are even harder to jack up than other vehicles, so no surprise on the oil filter being a PITA.

Back