• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'91 Laredo 4WD Components going into '98 Sport 2WD

craiso

NAXJA Forum User
My beloved 1991 XJ with 380,000+ original miles has become a donor due to a recent roll-over. I understand that most of the work will be a direct swap into my 1998 XJ Sport 2 Door, 2WD. I plan on using the front and rear differentials, transfer case, and both drive shafts from the '91. I am not clear on how the speed sensor on the transfer case will be integrated in to the '98, or if it is even needed. And then there is the 4WD indicator switch on the transfer case. I can see there is a light on the instrument panel, so is there a known method to make it work as well? I have read a few similar build threads. They concentrate on adding the 4WD and usually a lift, but not much information on how to get the required electrical components working. Looking forward to comments... Thanks

I just did a equipment list search by VIN. Listed for the transmission is AW4, and for the rear differential is corporate 8.25. Does this mean that I can simply add my transfer case and front differential from my donor and be done with it? Please see the information below...

Equipment Listing

Vehicle Description 1998 JEEP CHEROKEE SPORT UTILITY 2-DR

Monotone Paint
117 Amp Alternator
500 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
Power Front Disc/Rear Drum Brakes
Reclining Front Seats
Rear Fold w/Removable Cushion Seat
Traveling Inboard Seat Belt Buckle
Next Generation Front Air Bags**
Carpets - Floor and Cargo Area
Cargo Compartment Carpet
Cargo Tie Down Loops
Plastic Liftgate Trim Panel
Passenger Assist Handles
Lift Gate Assist Handle
Full Length Floor Console
4-Speed Automatic AW4 Transmission
Corporate 8.25 Rear Axle
Tinted Windshield Glass
Front Door Tinted Glass
Tinted Rr Drs/Qtr/Liftgate Glass
Rear View Day/Night Mirror
Deluxe Insulation Group
100 MPH Primary Speedometer

STANDARD EQUIPMENT

Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers
Cigar Lighter
Dual Note Electric Horns
12V Auxiliary Power Outlet
DK QUARTZ - "CHEROKEE" Badge
DK QUARTZ - "JEEP" Badge
RADIANT SILVER MET. C/C - JEEP
BLACK - FENDER FLARES
Headlamps On Warning Chimes
Glove Box Lamp
Front Dome Lamp
Halogen Headlamps
CHMSL Lamp
Front Bumper Guards
Black Windshield Moldings
Rear Qtr Solid Window Insert
Belt Moldings
Body Color Drip Trough Molding
Black Door Handles
Silver/Chrome Badging
EVAP Control System
20 Gallon Fuel Tank
Stone White C/C
Power Steering
Normal Duty Suspension
Front Stabilizer Bar
Rear Stabilizer Bar
Compact Spare Tire
Inside Mounted Spare Tire
Upgraded OBD-II Connectors
Tethered Fuel Filler Cap
Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications
GVW Rating - 4550#
U.S. Dealer Retail
Zone 63-Dallas
Texas Ship to State Code
Texas Sold to State Code
Prem Cloth Hi-Back Bucket Seats
Indigo/Linen
SE Decor Group (97-02-26)
4.0L Engine(ERH)/4Sp Auto Trans(DGS
High Back Bucket Seats
Highline Door Trim Panel
Front & Rear Floor Mats
Spare Tire Cover
All 4-Speed Automatic Transmissions
Lock-Up Torque Converter
Floor Mount Automatic Shift Lever
3.55 Rear Axle Ratio
All Engines
4.0L I6 Power Tech Engine
Power Mirrors, Fold-Away
All Vehicles W/Power Mirrors
Air Conditioning
Analog Instrument Cluster
Instrument Panel Black Bezel

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT

Rear Window Wiper/Washer
DK QUARTZ - "4.0L" DECAL
Cargo Compartment Lamp
Black Front Bumper
Black Rear Bumper
Front License Plate Bracket
Black Grille
Roof Rack
Federal Emissions
Stone White Clear Coat
All Radio Equipped Vehicles
AM/FM Cassette Radio
4 Speakers
Fixed Long Mast Antenna
Luxury Steering Wheel
Tilt Steering Column
P215/75R15 BSW Wrangler AP Tires
Goodyear Brand Tires
15X7.0 Styled Steel Wheels
All Steel Wheels
8 Additional Gallons of Gas
Spring - Left Front
Spring - Left Rear
Spring - Right Front
Spring - Right Rear
Customer Preferred Package 2TB
Customer Preferred Package 26B
Spring Special Discount

The 91 transmission and transfer case are not a bolt on swap to a 98 and are not recommended. The axles and front drive shaft are bolt on.

I would suggest you need to do some more research about your swap to 4x4. Start by reading this AW-4 swap info thread >> https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970 << Note that you will need a 4x4 transmission, and a transfer case that has the correct input shaft length and spline count, as well as the correct speedometer output.

This is obviously a much larger project that I have ever tried to accomplish. I have no problem troubleshooting and changing parts; I worked on planes for 25 years. I have read a few threads now about the 2WD to 4WD conversion and its complexities, and thank you for pointing me to another I do appreciate it. After looking over Kastein's post, I understand that the '91 transmission will not work for me. It also seems that the '98 2WD AW4 cannot be converted to 4WD without more work than I am capable of doing. I did some digging and found an interchange part number 400-03265; is this what I am looking for? I imagine that I will need the '98 transfer case as well...

Using the correct era parts will make your project a bolt on job. Find an appropriate 98-01 donor and grab the 4x4 transmission, attached transfer case, the 4x4 shifter assembly, and the possibly the rear driveshaft if the donor has a Chrysler 8.25 rear axle. You will likely need or find very useful the transmission/transfer case wire harness as well. I find www.car-part.com useful both for locating parts and for helping determine part compatibility/interchangeability. When you give them your vehicle details the list of available parts shows only exact interchange donors.

Last edited:
Change of plan. I think I will be going the easy route and add an auto locker to the axle and slap on some AT tires to make the best of it. I know the differential is a corporate 8.25, and assume that there are 29 spline shafts. Taxes are done, so I've been looking at a Spartan Lunchbox and a Lube Locker gasket to finish up. Thoughts?

Only you know if you need 4 wheel drive -- Did you use it much on the rolled cherokee?

I have both a 2000 4wd and a 96 2wd cherokee -- The 2wd is new to me -- at the moment I'm keeping it 2wd but if the right donor shows up then It'll be hard for me not to swap it -- the 96 2wd has 100,000 less miles than the 2000 4wd -- I got the 96 for $400 and was being used as a daily driver by previous owner

Change of plan. I think I will be going the easy route and add an auto locker to the axle and slap on some AT tires to make the best of it. I know the differential is a corporate 8.25, and assume that there are 29 spline shafts. Taxes are done, so I've been looking at a Spartan Lunchbox and a Lube Locker gasket to finish up. Thoughts?

A locker and good tires are the foundation of good traction. All of the LockRight/Spartan type lunchbox lockers perform well and are simple to install.

Keep your eyes open for a suitable donor for the 4x4 parts, you can always install them at a later time. Often you can buy a complete wrecked or project Cherokee for very little and then recover much of the purchase cost selling the 2wd transmission and other parts and in the scrap value of the metal.

I miss the '91 already with all the weather we are getting. I did use the 4WD often this time of year out here on the Missouri River bottom. Someday I'll eventually convert this one to 4X4; it's growing on me. &#55357;&#56833;

Would I be inducing issues to my suspension if I went ahead and swapped out the front axle?

As long as the steering and suspension parts are in good or new condition there will be no issues.

I bought a Spartan lunchbox and installed it today. Had a small SNAFU with not getting one of the C clips in all the way, but it finally worked itself right. Did it the old fashion way outside in the wind and the cold. We had a high of 20* today. Took breaks often, so I survived. It seemed to perform well. Now I need some better tires. General purpose tires in this year's winter just isn't getting me anywhere. What should I be expecting to get out of this RWD Jeep with the lunchbox?

Expect that it will drive differently than an open differential in slippery conditions. Find a wide open paved area and practice recovering from a rear axle skid.

Back