• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Gearing Thread.

If you go that route, you might consider getting an override switch for the AW4. Depending on the type of trails you're on, 1st can be kinda slow in 4L, and 3rd can be a little fast. 2nd is the sweet spot for most of my trail runs, especially in a convoy with rigs closer to stock gearing.

I was thinking of doing just that, as well. I'm glad you brought it up. Are you thinking something like from Montana Fab? Or something else?

More important, get the 2-low kit for the transfer case, it will pay off instantly as I rarely use 4wd anymore.

I know you have talked about this modification before, but can you explain again the advantages of this?

It allows driving in low range in 2WD, many times in steep situations, low gears are wanted when the lack of traction isn't a problem .
If nothing else, it makes driving in traffic jams easier.

The main benefit to me is because I'm locked front/back so when in 2lo the steering doesn't fight you, plus I get better mileage too. It will shift on-the-fly to 4lo so if and when it's needed it's easy to do.

Makes sense, thanks for the explanations. I'll look in to it. I'm going to have the transfer case gone through before I install it, so getting a 2 low kit should be easy.

Back