• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Rebuilt

I've been investigating magnets. It appears putting them on the oil filter body works. I've seen two separate videos where they were dissected. One used neodymiums and the other used ceramics. They both worked.

I've got a bunch of magnets laying around so I'm going to fashion them into a wrap I can attach to the body. Seems like a $15 investment to get 10 12lb Neo's on Amazon is a great idea since they'll catch every micron.

I just watched a video where a guy got an oil bypass filter system from AMSoil. Looked complicated and expensive, and only filters a portion of the oil down to 2 microns. Not to mention you will have to replace those bypass filters which are probably much more expensive.

Is it necessary to pre-soak lifters in mineral spirits a day before? I don't seem to have the ability to find the reasoning behind it, but CompCams has it listed as a to-do before installation.

I was wondering if that is something that would even out the internal pressures. Only 2 or 3 of them have finger moveable play. The others are all stiff. They're fresh outta the box unused, unabused (I assume...).

If so I'll have to wait for someone to get home to take me to the mineral spirit store. Is there anything else I should get while I'm out?

2 lifters are semi-collapsible, the others are all stiff like they've been oiled. My machinist didn't want me to oil them internally and recommended I cushion it in a vice with some towels and a bolt to get them collapsing for pre-load check'ment.

He said mineral spirits wasn't necessary either.

Considering I was positive I wiped a cam lobe, should I see this? Usually in the past I had silvery stuff in the oil. I had no silver, but a few noticeable particles.

None of the lifters looked damaged but a few lobes were too shiny to not be wiped. This go around it wiped from loose rocker arms and I assume the sloppy play between the lifter and cam lobe smacked it to peices. I'll be taking it out tonight/tomorrow.

Does it look like it could be from the cam or do I have larger problems? It looks flat on both sides and that doesn't sit well with me.

BVzONgo.jpg

rkE1R9w.jpg

Back