• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trying to remove the cross shaft in my 8.25 to pull a shaft but it hits the ring gear

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry for the second thread but the other one was filled with removing the cross pin retaining bolt. Got that accomplished but now I have a whole new problem.

Chrysler 8.25, LSD w/ 4.56 gears. Removed the cross shaft retaining pin. Gently tried pounding out the cross shaft however I could only get it 3/4 of an inch out until the edge of it hit the ring gear.

What in the world do I do now??? All this to find out if I have a 29 spline shaft or not.

Here's a pic:

axle4.jpg

I do not need this axle. It's bent badly, and I will be replacing it. The only thing I will be keeping are the gears and the LSD to have a shop swap into a new axle. But I need to get one with matching spine shafts or the LSD wont work.

Could I cheat and sawzall one of the tubes in half? Do the splines run all the way down the shaft or just at the end that goes into the housing?

Last edited:
You are going to have to grind the gear tooth to get it out. If you take your time and remove only what is needed to get the pin out you will be fine.

Turn the pin as you pull it out. There should be flats ground in it to get it past the ring gear. Or try going the other direction and see if that helps.

Turn the pin as you pull it out. There should be flats ground in it to get it past the ring gear. Or try going the other direction and see if that helps.

Its been established in his other thread that his pin has no flat/ground spots.

How did the pin get in there then, magic? If there was a link to the other thread it would've been known if the shaft was ground or not.

Grind the ring gear a fuzz then.

How did the pin get in there then, magic? If there was a link to the other thread it would've been known if the shaft was ground or not.

Grind the ring gear a fuzz then.

Link to the other thread is 3 down from this one in Mod Tech :rolleyes:

How did the pin get in there then, magic?

x2,chech the other side of the carrier to see if they ground the teeth down on that side.

Why don't you just remove the ring dear from the carrier?

Why don't you just remove the ring dear from the carrier?
Think about that one for a second.... the ring gear has nowhere to go. It can't go left past the carrier, and the pinion gear is preventing it from going to the right.

The cross shaft went in somehow, it'll have to come back out the same way.

Looking at the spider gear picture on his LSD thread, it looks like there is a flat spot at the center of the cross pin, not the ends (Post 14). What about rotating the crosspin so that the flat is facing an axle shaft, then push the shaft in, dropping the C-clip. Then do the same for the other side. I'll bet the cross pin was installed before the ring gear was put on.

Looking at the spider gear picture on his LSD thread, it looks like there is a flat spot at the center of the cross pin, not the ends (Post 14). What about rotating the crosspin so that the flat is facing an axle shaft, then push the shaft in, dropping the C-clip. Then do the same for the other side. I'll bet the cross pin was installed before the ring gear was put on.
SOMEONE is thinking here! :worship:

That did not occur to me when I made my suggestions at ~3AM last night.

Give that a try, I bet it works.

Think about that one for a second.... the ring gear has nowhere to go. It can't go left past the carrier, and the pinion gear is preventing it from going to the right.

The cross shaft went in somehow, it'll have to come back out the same way.

so... take apart the axle.

and yeah... it did get in there somehow. i bet it got installed before the ring gear was put on. so... take it out the same way.

I'll bet the cross pin was installed before the ring gear was put on.

i bet it got installed before the ring gear was put on. so... take it out the same way.

The carrier and ring gear have to be installed in the pumpkin BEFORE installing the axle shafts, c-clips, and cross shaft. There is NO way you can install the cross shaft before the ring gear.

Last edited:
The carrier and ring gear have to be installed in the pumpkin BEFORE installing the axle shafts, c-clips, and cross shaft. There is NO way you can install the cross shaft before the ring gear.

Then how did it get in there? There is no notch for it and it won't come out either side without hitting the ring gear.

Ill try the rotating the shaft tonight as recommended earlier. Will update tonight.

1.Carrier assembled first.
2.Ring gear mounted on carrier.
3.Carrier with ring gear installed into axle housing.
4.Axle shafts installed.

Disassemble would be the reverse order.

Did you check the opposite side 180* for a tooth that is ground down?

the OP already said it wont come out either side. id bet it is as mcdavid123 said that you have to line the middle flat spot up to one shaft at a time and drop the c clips out

Back