• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blackstone lab results.

Mcmadman

NAXJA Forum User
Hey yall i have 180k on this engine. I just replaced the whole cooling system besides the heater core. Well when removing the thermostat i saw a lot of deposits after flushing the shit out of it so i decided to run an acid flush thru the system. I went for a couple mile trip to get it running thru and i did not get the lower radiator hose on all the way . It came off and i overheated enough to get smoke from the valve cover and out the radiator fill. I did a exhaust leak test kit and found nothing. I did a compression test and my numbers were 130 130 135 130 140 130.....i was happy woth all this after just investing all this money into this jeep and it being my daily driver. I was planning on putting a new axle and some other suspension work to dial it in when i got my report from blackstone below. What do you all think about these results. I drove it up north and back 500 mile round trip. Im thinkkng it should bot be driven anymore and its the weekend so i just want to start tearing stuff apart but inwant some1 with me thay knows what theyre doing or atleast a new head ready to go in because it will rust if i have it open for long?? I dunno just putting this put there to see what people think i know
Y1gJ0h5

Testing positive for coolant in the oil is pretty indicative of at least a failed head gasket. That may or may not show up on a compression test, and I've had many blown head gaskets show nothing on one of those block cooland testers. At minimum I'd probably pull the head and you can have a machine shop check it for cracks and straightness. That's usually a pretty quick turnaround.

Depending on the extent of damage the engine could be ok for a while but fail sooner rather than later. Or not. Hard to say.

Not seeing the year of the Jeep in your post or profile. '00 or '01? If so betting on the head. Google 0331 head. They have a habit of cracking. Bad casting from the factory makes them crack between cylinders 3 and 4. If you have this head and even if it checks out OK and is just a head gasket if it were me I would replace the head anyway. Maybe source a TUPY head from the boneyard, mid '02 or later WJ or TJ. Many guys buy the Clearwater head instead.

Its an 01. So id probably replace the head without even sending it to a machine shop. But as far as the amount of damage already done im not sure how to tell and im sure if it wasnt too bad it would be worth a new head?

Its an 01. So id probably replace the head without even sending it to a machine shop. But as far as the amount of damage already done im not sure how to tell and im sure if it wasnt too bad it would be worth a new head?

Cooking the engine seems to be a common way to crack a 0331 head. But some have posted that they never cooked their engine and the head still cracked. How long do you think you have been running with coolant in the oil? My understanding is it will thrash bearings in the engine pretty quickly if you let it go to long. It appears that when caught sooner rather then later guys just to the head and seem to be OK. Figure if you do just the head and it turns out that the bottom end needs a rebuild too you are part of the way there with the head. Also if you do have the 0331 head but it checks out OK at the machine shop putting it back on just doesn't seem logical when you have other options.

I just need to source a head as well as inspect for damage wich im not sure how yet. I think i might have had a small small leak since ive had it for 30k but i put 400 miles on it dince overheating!

No not a good sign and the CCH head is a version of the TUPY!

Yea without knowing how bad my bearings are destroyed i dont know if i want to buy all new stuff. I have a sub par jy right next to me and a very nice one about 13 miles away. Ccw head looks sweet though i got my finger however . So ifnit comes with new rockers i just gotta buy new bools and gasket and inspect pushrods?

I have an 2000 XJ I cracked my head after my water pump went out in the high sierras and I drove it home with no water pump. I replaced my engine with a Mopar crate engine it came with a Tupy 0331 Head. I wouldn't waste your time replacing the head. I knew my Jeep had a cracked head because my coolant was disappearing and the oil fill cap had milk sludge building on it every 3,000 miles. Get a Mopar crate engine and have the dealer install it you get a 36,000 mile wRrety. If anything goes wrong they will need to fix it at no charge. My new engine started peeking from the rear main seal after ten thousand miles after the dealer inspected it they found that the crank shaft was not machined properly and had to pull the engine and put a new crank in with new bearings no charge to me and I got a rental car for free.

No not a good sign and the CCH head is a version of the TUPY!

Google Clearwater cylinder head before you order if you go that route, so you know what you're getting into. They have some...mixed....reviews. I ordered a head for a Mazda truck I had because it was dirt cheap but I was hesitant using them.

I ended up getting a clearwater head because i was qouted 150 just to get a machine shop to clean and inspect a junkyard head. Hopefully the head is all good i spent a lot of money on it... it should be arriving any second.I have a felpro kit and bolts. I plan to clean the intake and install a bored out tb. I also have a new set of injectors because i had a fuel leak somewhere.i ordered some brown dog motor mounts a week ago but havnt even got a response from them. Someone one in my area has a bran new exaust manifold but im not sure if mines cracked. Half tempted to get a header

I have full confidence in CCH. I sent my 0331 to Russ for the "all-out" work!
P1080516_zpsybaiiwn0.jpg

Back