• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snow Wheeling?

Starboard M

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Anyone have any interest in some snow wheeling?

I was thinking after xmas, earlyish January? Camp one night, wheel two days, or something along those lines.

Where have people gone for snow wheeling? I seem to recall trips to Bald Mountain, but thats kind of far from the East Bay.Any good trails up by Tahoe or Reno areas?

Fresh tracks in Snow is fun:

MormonET01.jpg

There was the Mormon Emigrant Trail (AKA: Iron Mountain Road) starts just off 50 in pollock pines and you can drive all the way to 88, it is just a road that they did not gate or plow. I don't know if it is still that way or if they have closed it down, anyone know if this is still open?.

some info:
http://wackyiraqi.com/wtf/pashnit/MormonEmigrant.htm

http://www.4x4trails.net/db_view_trail.php?trailNum=237

http://www.pashnit.com/maps/MormonEmigrant.htm

I used to run the Mormon Emigrant Trail once a year as a day run, lots of driving! It would be nice to drive up Saturday morning play in the snow, crash out in a hotel or cabin and drive home Sunday morning.

Sly Park road is the exit off 50, the dam at Jenkinson Reservoir is right at the start of the road, one year there was no snow on the dam at all:
Dam2.jpg

Other years the dam is right at snow level:
Dam.jpg

Just a road but it is still fun:
SidebySide.jpg

Lots of side roads to get in deep:
InDeep.jpg

Not hard to find trouble:
trouble.jpg

Only one year we made it all the way to 88, it got deep at the top and was a LONG day:
ry3D480.jpg

Or you could go south to the rocks:
Calicocave.jpg

When are you thinking of doing this? January 7th is me and the wifes 10 year so I don't think I can make it on the weekend of the 9-10.

Hell. Yes. I'm so looking forward to snow runs! (I need to get my ass in gear and finish my junk, but still...)

As far as locations go... Malakoff Diggins is great for an over-nighter. There's three old cabins for rent with wood burning stoves. They sleep 4-6 people/couples each. I've never camped there, but Uncle Tom's Cabin and Mormon Emigrant are fun day runs.

Billy

I'm definitely game for a snow run. Personally, right after Xmas sounds good... but plans change.

What are the usual requirements for snow wheeling? (never been before). Im sittin on 4.5" of lift and 31 m/t's open/open.

EDIT:
As far as wheeling spots go, i have heard of Cabbage Patch Road (7N09) and Board's Crossing Road (5N02). They are both off of highway 4 on the way to lake alpine/bear valley/slick rock. If there's too much/not enough snow at one, we could always go to the other.

Last edited:
A snow trip would be a lot of fun and I'd try hard to make it. I'll be home from school until January 13. I've got a few parts to put on the jeep (track bar, control arms, tie rod, bump stop the rear) but I could do that between Christmas and new years. Then do a trip between new years and the 13? An overnight trip would be great.

How does the first weekend of January sound for everyone? Jan 2- Jan 3.

Post up your specs of your Jeeps, if you want a day run/ two day run.

I have no idea which trail to do. Opinions on the ones posted so far?

How does the first weekend of January sound for everyone? Jan 2- Jan 3.

Post up your specs of your Jeeps, if you want a day run/ two day run.

I have no idea which trail to do. Opinions on the ones posted so far?

It's your thread Matt, so you pick a date that works for you.
The 2nd and 3rd could be a fun new years hang-over/first of 2010 run!! Still have to check with my boss if I can get out, but I will work on it.

I think it depends on the snow levels, if it is all the way down to Polock Pines (about 5000 ft) then Ice House road up to the Rubicon would be kind of scary with that big drop off and the snow levels up there would be too deep to even make it to Loon. I have had some great times on Mormon Emigrant Trail but if the snow levels are high it might not be worth it. Both are right off of 50, so we could run one or the other, but I am open to running almost anything.

Wentworth Springs road from Stumpy Meadow to Ice House Rd.(goes past Uncle Tom's cabin) is a fun run. That's actually the last snow run I went on(2005?), went all the way through and came down Ice House.

I have been running Mormon Emigrant Trail the last two years. Fun to wheel and sled for a day run. I am down for a snow run.

I vote for a Mormon Emigrant Trail day run. Currently open/open but should be locked/lsp by then.

Josh

January 2 and 3 would work for me, and I'd prefer a two day run. I'd really have to scramble to get my parts on, but I could still make it even if I didn't get to them all. I'm on 31s, locked in front. Any idea what the minimum requirements will be? I guess it depends on which trail is chosen...

I would definately be down for a snow run I would only be able to make it a day run. I have never been to Morman imigrant trail. We do most of our snow runs up on HWY4 in the black springs area (7n09) so something different would be great.

Locked front and rear on 35's

Does a total of 10 hours on Hwy 80 last Sunday and Monday count as a snow run? Spent the night in Reno and came back in the thick of it. It was all good except for my scared wife who thought I would drive off a cliff the ENTIRE TIME!

Back