• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

P0705 (NSS), tried two new switches, one reverse light shuts off when braking

Hubjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy,
Been a long while since I posted on any forum, but got a problem with my 1999 238,000 mile XJ 4.0L.

While replacing the floor pans I replaced the NSS since I had to wiggle the shifter to start and to get reverse lights to come on sometimes.

Shortly after my check engine lights comes on with P0705, so I buy another new switch (also aftermarket) and the code comes back! I found the wiring diagram and checked continuity between the wires and they are good.

Weird thing... when in reverse both backup lights come on, but when I step on the brake the passenger side one shuts off!!! CEL means it fails NYS inspection. :gonnablow

Any ideas? Thanks!

-Hub

Weird thing... when in reverse both backup lights come on, but when I step on the brake the passenger side one shuts off!!!

Check the grounds at the taillights. I bet you have a bad one on that side. Check the wiring harness connector for the tranny/NSS on the passenger side of the firewall.

Hm. Another thing to check if the grounds don't solve it is the turn signal switch. I have an old 80s Dodge that at one point was doing some weird random stuff on the brake lights - sometimes no brake lights, sometimes the left only, sometimes the right only, sometimes normal. After a lot of poking around myself, I gave up and took it to someone; a new turn signal switch (the bit inside the column, not the lever you pull on), and it was back to normal.

Check the grounds at the taillights. I bet you have a bad one on that side. Check the wiring harness connector for the tranny/NSS on the passenger side of the firewall.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Its always the connector if you have cleaned the nss.. take it apart its probably rusty/broken inside.

Pull the kick panel on the passenger rear and check the main harness to sub harness connector for the tail light. A rust hole in the passenger rear wheel well caused water intrusion and corrosion at the non weather sealed connector and a P0705. I ended up bypassing the connector with crimp and seal connectors.

Back