• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting 0455 CEL Evaporative Emission System - what should I look at first?

bajabronco

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I am getting the stupid 0455 CEL code fairly frequently now after my Rubicon trip. The gas cap has been changed out and is good. What are the other things I should be checking? I don't smell anything near the fuel tank. Any recommendations on what to check and in what order?

A basic Google search find this:

P0455 JEEP - EVAP System Large Leak

Possible causes
•Missing or loose fuel cap
•Incorrect fuel filler cap used
•Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close
•Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap
•EVAP canister or fuel tank leaks
•EVAP system hose leaking
•Fuel tank leaking

Year would help....

Tim_MN, I know what the error code means, I was just asking if people have had personal experience of solving the code, other than just getting a new gas cap, which I have already done.

RCP Phx, it is a 2000 XJ.

Evap system hoses, hose fittings, and fuel tank hoses, fuel tank vent tube, or the fuel pump assembly lock ring gasket would be likely suspects.

Check everything at the canister, which is just in front of the gas tank. Then you have another line that runs forward to the purge valve.

Ok thanks RCP Phx & Tim_MN! -It will be a maintenance Sunday on the XJ today. Yesterday was install the new Method beadlock day !

IMG_0410_zpsrvp7nxsn.jpg

IMG_0413%201_zpspw1riy70.jpg

Back