• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need expert AW4 help.

Z06guy

NAXJA Forum User
Vehicle: 96 4.0 AW4 188,000 miles

Symptoms: With shift lever in OD, sometimes shifts normally, sometimes does not want to upshift. It sometimes stays in second gear up to 75mph. Most of the time it will upshift, but very late. It will also downshift out of over drive on the freeway for no particular reason. Sometimes it will upshift, downshift, upshift, downshift, and sometimes it will just downshift to third and stay there. Converter does lock up.

Testing: With TCM unplugged, it behaves properly, staying in whatever gear I leave the shift lever.

Fluid level is full and fluid color looks very good and smells fine.

Volt meter check of the plug showed everything reading properly with a few exceptions. First, I did not test the VSS input. I've read here that if it's bad, it won't upshift at all.

Second, C14-C16 all show ZERO ohms of resistance at the TCM plug and at the plug at the firewall. This is the part I don't understand. How can the trans shift even simi properly if all three solenoids were dead shorted to ground?

I tracked the little harness all the way to where it goes behind the transfer case shift linkage and don't see any destroyed or melted wires. I did notice at one point in the harness that the wires were a tad wet with tranny fluid inside the black plastic sheath which is odd because I don't have a tranny fuid leak.

Problems started on the trip home after a brutal 12 hour day of hardcore trail running in 105 degree heat. Vehicle was subject to heat, banging around, and a couple splashes through muddy puddles.

Any help you can offer me would be greatly appreciated.

sounds like your solenoids are going out...there are 3 located in the pan..you should have around 11-15 ohms resistance (Key off,tcu unplugged) on pin C14,15,16 with the Neg lead into pin D7...........should you have to replace them...if you can afford it i reccomend doing all 3.
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=2&Category_Code=A340solenoid

On a side note i recently replaced my TCM because it was bad and caused the same exact issues that you were having. But with all my problems trans related i had codes....A faulty TPS could cause issues also...And the NSS is to Make sure the vehicle starts in N or P only...and to work the Reverse lights...

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I think my problem is my solenoids as well. I just have a hard time believing they are all soo bad they are have absolutely no resistance to ground at all. I would hate to pay the money and go through the effort of changing them only to find my ohm meter or testing procedure was the problem, and the soleniods are fine. I am checking them just as you instruct, though. After that, I checked all three at the plug by the firewall with the other lead on the negative side of the battery and got the same result. I'm going to borrow a different ohm meter and recheck them.

If you take the solenoids out: Test them by grounding the metal bracket and running 12V to where the connector is. If the solenoid CLICKS once when you apply the 12V then the solenoid is good. If it makes no noise, then it is fried.

Understanding ohmeter readings is not that easy. Sometimes a little continuity seems like a lot. You can try to get a feel for this by looking at your readings while touching the probes together, holding them out in the air with no contact, and by holding them in opposite hands with your fingers. This should yield high continuity, no continuity, and very low continuity, in that order. If you only have very low continuity, it would not really be a short.

This happened to me. All 3 solenoids were bad. I replaced them with used ones for like $40 and it is fine now.

Go to a junkyard and pull them from another AW4.

If you take the solenoids out: Test them by grounding the metal bracket and running 12V to where the connector is. If the solenoid CLICKS once when you apply the 12V then the solenoid is good. If it makes no noise, then it is fried.

Also, they should test within the proper ohm range as well.

Don't forget you need to ground on d7 in the tcm plug. To be sure you have a proper ground.

Yup, that's just what I did when I tested them through the plug.

Understanding ohmeter readings is not that easy. Sometimes a little continuity seems like a lot. You can try to get a feel for this by looking at your readings while touching the probes together, holding them out in the air with no contact, and by holding them in opposite hands with your fingers. This should yield high continuity, no continuity, and very low continuity, in that order. If you only have very low continuity, it would not really be a short.

That's exactly what I did! I was also looking around the shop for a resistor. Somthing with a known resistance, but couldn't find anything. When holding the probes in opposite fingers, it was reading extremely high resistance. Somthing in the milli ohm range.

Okay, I just went out and tested them again the exact same way as before at the plug with the same multimeter and got different reading. Now all three measure exactly .216 k ohms which is 216 ohms. I still don't understand how their reading changed or why they all read exactly the same. Help?

Okay, I got new info. My tests at the firewall connetor were bogus because I touched the other lead to the positive side of the battery. :looser: :dunce:

Once I used the negative side, all three solenoid leads show 11.2 ohms. party1:

So the question became why does it show 238 ohms using the d7 pin in the connector? Well I checked the resistance between the D7 pin (black wire/ ground) and the negative terminal of the battery and it was 218ohms. In other words, all of my resistance is through the black ground wire in the D7 pin. The resistance through my solenoids is fine to the battery. Now I need to know where that black wire goes. I traced it down the harness to a seperate two wire connetor which runs to the back of the transmission behind the tranfercase shift linkage. Does anybody have the wiring diagram? Can I just jumper that black wire to a solidly grounded bolt?

I found a couple wiring diagrams on Pirate4x4 and they both show the D7 black wire just going directly to ground. That's great. It looks like I could simply connect that wire to a known good ground and my problem might be solved. I just have to wonder, why would the manufacture run the ground wire through the harness all the way to the inside of the trans if it was just a ground?

Fixing the ground at D7 should help the computer. The solenoids are grounded through the engine block. Also, your symptoms can be caused by a bad TPS sensor, which is very common.

Well, it seems to be fixed. It's been shifting flawlessly for a couple days now. I thought I'd post what I did to fix it as it might help somebody else searching in the future.

First, I cut the black ground wire that runs to the D7 pin on the transmission side of the connector by the firewall in the engine bay. Then I butt spliced it to a wire running to a grounding point on the block. After doing that, all three solenoids read 12 ohms when measured at the connector using the D7 pin for ground just as they should. So I drove it. It would not shift out of first gear. It was behaving as though it had no VSS sensor. So I then butt spliced the other end of the wire I cut and grounded it to the black as well. This is the end of the wire running towards the transmission. Bingo. Now it works perfectly.

In short, my ground wire had way too much resistance for some reason. So I basically jumpered the middle of the wire to a good ground. Why does it work? I don't know. I never opened up the transmission so I have no idea where that black wire goes inside the transmission. I have a suspecion it goes to the VSS because it goes through a little 2 wire connector with the C3 VSS wire and because when cut, my trans acting like it had no VSS input. Bottom line is I don't care how it works as long as it keeps on working.

Well, it seems to be fixed. It's been shifting flawlessly for a couple days now. I thought I'd post what I did to fix it as it might help somebody else searching in the future.

First, I cut the black ground wire that runs to the D7 pin on the transmission side of the connector by the firewall in the engine bay. Then I butt spliced it to a wire running to a grounding point on the block. After doing that, all three solenoids read 12 ohms when measured at the connector using the D7 pin for ground just as they should. So I drove it. It would not shift out of first gear. It was behaving as though it had no VSS sensor. So I then butt spliced the other end of the wire I cut and grounded it to the black as well. This is the end of the wire running towards the transmission. Bingo. Now it works perfectly.

In short, my ground wire had way too much resistance for some reason. So I basically jumpered the middle of the wire to a good ground. Why does it work? I don't know. I never opened up the transmission so I have no idea where that black wire goes inside the transmission. I have a suspecion it goes to the VSS because it goes through a little 2 wire connector with the C3 VSS wire and because when cut, my trans acting like it had no VSS input. Bottom line is I don't care how it works as long as it keeps on working.

Found this.....

The throttle-position sensor used for the AW4 transmission in a Jeep Cherokee always has been a problem child. Washing the en- gine is a sure way to screw this sensor up. One not-so-obvious problem that occurs is the ground wire going to this TPS. This ground wire comes from the TCU. The internal ground in the TCU has a habit of going bad, causing constant TPS problems. Most of the times the TPS is being checked for a smooth change in volts pro- portional to throttle angle. Once an erratic change is seen, or a con- stant voltage signal is seen, the TPS is condemned and changed. After the sensor is replaced, most of the time the problem is solved. However, there will be times when the problem will remain the same because of this bad ground wire. This wire usually is orange with a tan tracer. When this wire is checked for volts, only 0.1 volts or less is allowed to be seen. Any more could mean a bad computer. Instead of changing the computer, run this wire to a good known ground and your problems are solved. By the way, when check- ing any TPS if you should find the voltage to be erratic on the sweep, the TPS itself might not be bad. It could be a bad ground or supply wire to the TPS. If the TPS is really bad, an ohms check on the TPS will be as erratic on the sweep as the voltage test.

sounds like your solenoids are going out...there are 3 located in the pan..you should have around 11-15 ohms resistance (Key off,tcu unplugged) on pin C14,15,16 with the Neg lead into pin D7...........should you have to replace them...if you can afford it i reccomend doing all 3.
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=2&Category_Code=A340solenoid

On a side note i recently replaced my TCM because it was bad and caused the same exact issues that you were having. But with all my problems trans related i had codes....A faulty TPS could cause issues also...And the NSS is to Make sure the vehicle starts in N or P only...and to work the Reverse lights...

car: cherokee sport 98 4x4 AW4 tranny 150000 miles

symptoms: in D dont take the second gear just from first to third , in 3 the same and in 1-2 don't take the second, sometimes don't want to start in P i need to move a bit or change to N and the reverse lights the bulbs are ok but don't work properly.

i already check the TPS and its looks to be ok cause i change it from another xj 98. and work the same so THE PROBLEM COULD BE THE SoLENOID'S ?????? thanks any reply, :yelclap:

car: cherokee sport 98 4x4 AW4 tranny 150000 miles

symptoms: in D dont take the second gear just from first to third , in 3 the same and in 1-2 don't take the second, sometimes don't want to start in P i need to move a bit or change to N and the reverse lights the bulbs are ok but don't work properly.

i already check the TPS and its looks to be ok cause i change it from another xj 98. and work the same so THE PROBLEM COULD BE THE SoLENOID'S ?????? thanks any reply, :yelclap:
That sounds more like an issue of the transmission switch needing cleaning/adjustment.

Back