• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

17"x9" wheels Fitment

flash2pablo

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking for any insight for aftermarket wheels.

I would like to run the stock Rubicon BFG tires 255/75/17 on my XJ. I have a 1998 Limited Upcountry edition.

I purchased a set of 17x9 that are 5x4.5 lug wheels for a decent price used. They appear to have a 5.25 offset if I am measuring right. I have sourced a set of the BFG's for a pretty decent price.

I am planning to mount the tire/wheel combo after I install my bastardized 4" lift, including aftermarket lower control arms.

Before I go to the effort of purchasing the tires and mounting them, has anyone had experience or mounted this size of wheel/tire combo? Any advice on what I should be worried about?

I wanted to purchase these aftermarket wheels so that I did not have to buy spacers, but after getting them and seeing the width, I am wondering if I will have issues with the wheels/tires rubbing the control arms like people had with the tj rubicon wheels because of the offset.

I appreciate any help or tips.

Post a pic of the wheels. The JK Rubicon has a 5x5 pattern. The biggest TJ Moab is 16". If you have a factory Jeep 17" wheel, you need adapters.

OP did state "aftermarket wheels" with 5 x 4.5.
So, I think they are not JK wheels, but wants to run that size?

I would maybe pull a wheel off your Jeep and mount up one of your aftermarket wheels and check for clearance. As for the 255/75 tire. The width should not be a problem. IIRC, stock XJ wheels are 5.25? BS. I and many others have run stock XJ/ZJ wheels with 31x10.5 wide tires (265mm is approx 10.5") no issues.

If you really do have JK take off wheels, then those are 5x5 lug, like shelbyluvv stated. Between the BS and incorrect lug pattern of JK wheels you need to run adapters.

I mounted a set of 255/75r17's on a set of 17x7 Dodge Charger wheels about a year and a half ago.
Lift is just a set of ZJ V8 springs and a 1" spacer as the truck is just my daily driver for now. With 4" lift you should have little issue.

49d48b8497a8e3da7fbabe174eb4cee1.jpg

I will be mocking the wheels up next weekend. Stock jk wheels are 17x7.5" these are 17x9" Black eight hole cragar steel wheels.

I had a set of the rubicon tires set up to buy and the guy sold them an hour before i had set it up to meet at his house. But i find them brand new for $138 online.

17x9" steel wheels? dang son those are heavy!

I have my eye on a set of 17x8.5" alloys with 4.6" backspacing wheels, and some 245/70-17 shoes for them. When the shop mocked it up for me, I had to trim the trailing edge of the wheel well, and the lower side of the front bumper cap on my '00 - it's minor and you can not tell they are trimmed. No trimming needed of the actual flare, bump stops are correct, and cleared the arms fine. I'm at exactly 3.5" of lift.

With the close to stock back spacing of those rims, I would be worried about the control arms scrubbing, but that tire size is a pretty narrow 32" tire - You really might be able to run those without any problems. The tire is narrow enough not to scrub the arms, and the back spacing would pull it inside the wheel enough to not trim too much. With 4" I think you'll be right on target.

Got the tires mounted and balanced on the wheels. They look awesome.

Prior to mounting the tires i mocked up the wheels on the jeep. It looked pretty good, there may be a little tie/control arm rub at full lock. I picked up a set of 31/10.5/15 BFG AT's for street use.

I mounted a set of 255/75r17's on a set of 17x7 Dodge Charger wheels about a year and a half ago.
Lift is just a set of ZJ V8 springs and a 1" spacer as the truck is just my daily driver for now. With 4" lift you should have little issue.

49d48b8497a8e3da7fbabe174eb4cee1.jpg

Any issues with them coming lose?

I believe the Chargers used a slightly different bolt pattern.

Been on for about 2years now, no issues. I drive 240km highway to work each week and back again the next. So if there were an issue it would have presented itself by now.
In fact even found a second set of $100 so now I have a matching spare and a pair for my unity trailer.

Finally completed lifting my jeep this weekend. The wheels and tires are a perfect fit. I don't think I could have gone taller without some major rubbing issues. I may still have to do some bump stops to keep it from eating the fenders while flexing.

WHEEL ET OFFSET GURU GENIUS NEEDED - HELP PLEASE!!!

Hi Flash2Pablo
Can you help please?
I have a Jeep XJ 2000/01 model that I have shipped to Ibiza Spain.
The problem I have is a change in EU Regulations for the Vehicle Annual ITV/MOT Test.
The Center Tire measurement to Center Tire measurements has to be a maximum of 1470mm or Less.
I want to up-grade my wheels from 15 inch like you have to 17 ,18 or19 inch x 9 inch wide.
My Jeep XJ has the standard suspension set up , no lift etc, with the Sport stand Wheel Arch Fenders.

May I ask if you can?

1. CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME THE MEASUREMENT FROM THE TIRE CENTER TO THE TIRE CENTER ON THE SAME AXLE FOR THE FRONT AND BACK.
2. CAN YOU PLEASE CONFIRM THE ET OFF SET OF THE WHEELS.
3. CAN YOU PLEASE CONFIRM THAT THE WHEELS ARE 17 inch x 9 inch wide.

* I have been asking the wheel Manufactures, wheel Sales Distributors and NONE of them can tell me the answer of what size Wheel and ET is needed with Tires for a Center Tire to Center Tire Measurement to be 1470mm Maximum or less.

Looking forward to your information having made your upgrade to bigger wheels and tires.

This new EU Regulation is a Game Changer because my Jeep has passed the Test for the last 2 years with the same wheels and tires on the Jeep but now the EU Test Centers will not allow Wheel Poke! anymore, so it failed the Test and cannot be used on the roads until the Wheels and Tires are changed.

Thanks a million so I can get some positive feedback to look for New Wheels and Tires.

Best regards,
crazyray48

WHEEL ET OFFSET GURU GENIUS NEEDED - HELP PLEASE!!!

Hi Flash2Pablo
Can you help please?
I have a Jeep XJ 2000/01 model that I have shipped to Ibiza Spain.
The problem I have is a change in EU Regulations for the Vehicle Annual ITV/MOT Test.
The Center Tire measurement to Center Tire measurements has to be a maximum of 1470mm or Less.
I want to up-grade my wheels from 15 inch like you have to 17 ,18 or19 inch x 9 inch wide.
My Jeep XJ has the standard suspension set up , no lift etc, with the Sport stand Wheel Arch Fenders.

May I ask if you can?

1. CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME THE MEASUREMENT FROM THE TIRE CENTER TO THE TIRE CENTER ON THE SAME AXLE FOR THE FRONT AND BACK.
2. CAN YOU PLEASE CONFIRM THE ET OFF SET OF THE WHEELS.
3. CAN YOU PLEASE CONFIRM THAT THE WHEELS ARE 17 inch x 9 inch wide.

* I have been asking the wheel Manufactures, wheel Sales Distributors and NONE of them can tell me the answer of what size Wheel and ET is needed with Tires for a Center Tire to Center Tire Measurement to be 1470mm Maximum or less.

Looking forward to your information having made your upgrade to bigger wheels and tires.

This new EU Regulation is a Game Changer because my Jeep has passed the Test for the last 2 years with the same wheels and tires on the Jeep but now the EU Test Centers will not allow Wheel Poke! anymore, so it failed the Test and cannot be used on the roads until the Wheels and Tires are changed.

Thanks a million so I can get some positive feedback to look for New Wheels and Tires.

Best regards,
crazyray48

Here is what I have;

JK Axle

WMS to WMS is 65.25”
Track width is 61.9”

XJ/ TJ

WMS to WMS is 60”
Track Width is 58”

Convert the imperial measure to MM.

Don't know if this is a help to anyone. I did do a WJ Big Brake conversion. A few years back, I was offered a set of JK tires and rims. The deal fell through, but latter I bought them. Then another deal of tires, then rims came together. So, I installed the WJ's Hub Bearings. It works well. I do have a bit less turning radius. That is in part due to the extended sway bar brackets. I have a Ford 8.8 and used spacer adapters in the rear. I plan to change the Bolt pattern to 5 on 5 with Yukon axles.
The WJ bearing hub is near the same width as the 00-01 XJs. I'll have to see about what width measurements I have. Its cold and snowing, though.

Edit: I measured 69-70 inches width both front and rear.

Last edited:
I will be mocking the wheels up next weekend. Stock jk wheels are 17x7.5" these are 17x9" Black eight hole cragar steel wheels.

I had a set of the rubicon tires set up to buy and the guy sold them an hour before i had set it up to meet at his house. But i find them brand new for $138 online.

Hi Pablo,

Can you advise the ET OFF SET of your 17 x 9 inch wheels?
What is the WMS to WMS?
What is the Track Width?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Ray.

What size is the ET OFF SET you have on your 17 inch x 9 inch wheels?

What size tires are you running with?

Thanks.

I am running 265 70R17 Falken Wild Peaks. I am also using WJ/JK stock rims. I'll see if I can measure a set I have off the vehicle. I reread the Reg Specs. It seems from the center width of the tire/rim. A bit different. So, you could have a wider stance or width.??

Back