• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas Tank Skids

Not directly, but they can be made to fit. Why not just buy a 97-01 skid?

A ZJ gas tank skid will fit a 97-01. You will need to open up one bolt hole on each side of the ZJ skid very slightly.

Not directly, but they can be made to fit. Why not just buy a 97-01 skid?
Cuz I already have one that came off my '92 and a new skid cost hundred$ that I don't have right now. What mods do you think will be needed to make it fit?

As for a ZJ skid - Is it any thicker than the OE XJ skid? Unless someone's selling one & it's better, I'll stick with what I have until I can afford a decent one. I can't see myself at the bone yard up under a ZJ - or under any vehicle for that matter. Scary. :shiver:

Cuz I already have one that came off my '92 and a new skid cost hundred$ that I don't have right now. What mods do you think will be needed to make it fit?

As for a ZJ skid - Is it any thicker than the OE XJ skid? Unless someone's selling one & it's better, I'll stick with what I have until I can afford a decent one. I can't see myself at the bone yard up under a ZJ - or under any vehicle for that matter. Scary. :shiver:

I pulled a ZJ skid from the JY for my '98. I didn't have to get under the ZJ; you have access to all the bolts from the side without having to get beneath it. I needed a stepper bit to widen out an existing hole for installation. It cost me all of $20 total. Very easy and highly recommended.

Some junkyards will pull the parts for you for a fee. You could always ask, worst they could say is no.

What about inquiring with a couple local 4x4 shops to see if they have one in the discard pile, and if so what they'd want for it? I know one place by me usually had a pile of stock OEM XJ/TJ control arms pulled from rigs getting aftermarket parts. Dunno about OEM skids, though.

While I understand the peace of mind from having a skid on the tank, how often did you did actually hit the one on your '92? Maybe you can get by without for a little while to give you some extra time to search for a ZJ skid, especially if it's going to be a while yet before this thing sees enough of a trail to need one...

I pulled a ZJ skid from the JY for my '98. I didn't have to get under the ZJ; you have access to all the bolts from the side without having to get beneath it. I needed a stepper bit to widen out an existing hole for installation. It cost me all of $20 total. Very easy and highly recommended.
Oh good. That sounds encouraging. I'll go searching next week. Is it pretty much the same gauge thickness as the XJ skid?

Some junkyards will pull the parts for you for a fee. You could always ask, worst they could say is no.

What about inquiring with a couple local 4x4 shops to see if they have one in the discard pile, and if so what they'd want for it? I know one place by me usually had a pile of stock OEM XJ/TJ control arms pulled from rigs getting aftermarket parts. Dunno about OEM skids, though.

While I understand the peace of mind from having a skid on the tank, how often did you did actually hit the one on your '92? Maybe you can get by without for a little while to give you some extra time to search for a ZJ skid, especially if it's going to be a while yet before this thing sees enough of a trail to need one...

Well Rob, you never really NEED a skid ... until you wish you had installed one. I whacked the old skid a few times pretty hard with the dents to show for it sooo ... My shops don't have skids and the junk yards charge a fortune to pull parts for you. But it seems that it won't be a hazard to get a ZJ skid so that's now on the table. My XJ is almost ready to hit the trails (couple of weeks. Do I hear Rocktoberfest calling my name?).

Back