• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Waking the bear-1988 Cherokee

When I replaced the rear u-joint, I had also installed it in a spare driveshaft that I thought was is good shape. Ever since I installed it, it seemed like it had some vibes and harmonics that didn't feel or sound right. Nothing bad but just not as smooth as before, especially over 55 mph.

I decided to swap back to the original driveshaft and install a new u-joint in it. My son, Jack, assisted me and we installed a new joint and another flange I had on hand. He was great help and I explained the process as we went. We also greased everything on the driveshaft really well. Hopefully the XJ will be good for a while.

I also installed a new set of wiper blades.

Sorry no pictures of the work done today.

How old is Jack now? Keep them busy with Jeeps and they won't have time or money for anything else.

How old is Jack now? Keep them busy with Jeeps and they won't have time or money for anything else.

Jack is 12 now. He seems to want to help work on stuff now. We are in the process of getting two early 1992-1996 Ford F-150 4x4 trucks. He's asking a lot of questions about when they will be here and what it will take to get them running. Hopefully one will become his first vehicle.

That sounds awesome.

Ok, with the Crawl coming up it looks like it's time to do some much needed general maintenance.

Oil and filter change
Grease everything
Replace front axle seals - probably won't get this done
Check fluids in differentials and t-case
Alignment and tire rotation
Rear axle seal - just weeping a bit

Install new 1997-2001 style mirrors

Other than that, I'm not sure it needs much else.

Since we've decided to tow the XJ (for the first time ever) to the Crawl, I let some of the to-do list slide.

High2by came by and we changed the oil, greased everything, removed the front sway bar and rotated the tires.

I still need to check and top off the differential fluid but I can't find the large hex sockets to get the plugs out of the Solid diff covers. I need to swing by the auto parts store and grab a new set.

Other than grabbing a few spare parts and loading the tools, the XJ is ready to go.

Awesome! Looking forward to see you guys.

I'm looking forward to coming back to a Crawl! It's been a few years.....

I found a few more grease fittings I missed earlier. I got the special large hex socket for the Solid cover to check the differential fluid. Topped off the gear oil in the front and rear and added just a tad of ATF to the transfer case.

I put a new tire on the trailer……that’s about it.

Back