• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick WJ knuckle/brakes/steering swap question about TRE's

huntingman2706217

NAXJA Forum User
ive read abunch of articles on this... and some refer to using a chevy 1 ton TRE on the draglink end only vs. the WJ TRE... has to do with binding in there... well my question is what are these chevy TRE's from exactly so i can go buy one instead of using my WJ one? i bout a 2004 WJ that was T-boned for the motor ($1k) to stick in a 2000 WJ (0331 head) that i have... and i pulled everything off it... booster and all to stick on my XJ that im building for play... parted out the rest but im about to finish up with my 2000 WJ so now i can get started on the XJ and getting things together for it... was just wondering about this... thanks!!

make a visit to JKS

http://www.jksmfg.com/

theyll have the things you need, run their hub spacers and tierod/jamnuts. get some stock taper tie rod flip inserts from goferit for the tierod/wj ends. drill & taper OR get ballistic 1 ton taper tie rod inserts for the draglink/chevy ends.

i planned to get there spacers from them in the next week or so... but there website freakin sucks when it comes to finding this stuff... i seen there steering setup but its high and im not spending that... all i need to know is what chevy 1 ton TRE that everyone uses comes off of so i can get it too... nobody refers to the year or anything... just that there chevy 1ton tres... ill check ballistics website and goferit and see if i can find anything... thanks!

i seen there steering setup but its high and im not spending that

all i need to know is what chevy 1 ton TRE that everyone uses comes off of so i can get it too

You pretty much have to run their tierod with WJ ends. it allows for clearence of the center section, espicially if you have an aftermarket cover. Ballistic has the 1ton ends and part #'s too.

Basic rundown of what youll want:
-WJ knuckles and caliper mounts
-Hub spacers welded to knuckles
-WJ ball joints (top is same as XJ, bottom different)
-00+ XJ hubs
-JKS tierod with WJ ends
-1ton draglink
-OTK; Goferit for tierod, Ballistic for draglink
-shorter/custom trackbar
-higher axle trackbar mount

you can run either style caliper, the later ones are supposed to reduce warping and more money. people run different rotors, i run 01 sport trac 4x4 rotors with the hub just slightly grinded down to clear and a large washer on each stud to space it out

Basic rundown of what youll want:
-WJ knuckles and caliper mounts got it
-Hub spacers welded to knuckles
-WJ ball joints (top is same as XJ, bottom different) got them but probly get new ones...
-00+ XJ hubs this is the first ive heard of this? whats different in 89?
-JKS tierod with WJ ends
-1ton draglink
-OTK; Goferit for tierod, Ballistic for draglink
-shorter/custom trackbar

i got alot more to go...lol... if i buy this 77 ford D44 front im not wasting my money on the rest of this... lol... thanks man... most writeups dont list what they had to do for steering... only how to swap the knuckles... slim info on the steering...

Used in conjuction with the hub spacers to properly located the u-joint at the correct point on the steering axis of the ball joints.

you dump money into a wj swap real quick between buying all new brake parts, hubs, steering, track bar setup, etc.....

-shorter/custom trackbar

Im using 99 hub bearings with re-drilled WJ disks. Works great! I have the original axle out of my 95 and the hub bearings are a bit different. The back spacing and the shape mostly (ill see if I have pic). As for the track bar. A rear TJ track bar works great but I had to take an inch out of it to get it just right with 6.5" of lift and a JKS OTA mount. All depends on the lift and where you have the mount on the axle.

Back