• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

odd noise when letting off gas

dan302492

NAXJA Forum User
been trying to figure out what this was for a while. while driving usually a bit over 30 and higher it makes an odd noise coming from what sounds to be my transfercase and then when i get back on the throttle it makes a small clunk noise then its gone. sorry for the ill discription. could this be a overly stretched drive chain making that noise after it picks up the slack or the output shaft bearing(does not leak though)??? I know its not the driveline u-joints because i have checked them multiple times.

dan302492 said:
been trying to figure out what this was for a while. while driving usually a bit over 30 and higher it makes an odd noise coming from what sounds to be my transfercase and then when i get back on the throttle it makes a small clunk noise then its gone. sorry for the ill discription. could this be a overly stretched drive chain making that noise after it picks up the slack or the output shaft bearing(does not leak though)??? I know its not the driveline u-joints because i have checked them multiple times.

I would still lean towards driveshaft ujoints.

the same thing happens to mine

it does sound like it is comming from the transfer case
but mine happens when i come to a complete stop and start up again

its like the rear of the jeep is kept up in the air a bit and then suddenly dropped

like the slip yolk isnt doing its job correctly

housemaster0630 said:
the same thing happens to mine

it does sound like it is comming from the transfer case
but mine happens when i come to a complete stop and start up again

its like the rear of the jeep is kept up in the air a bit and then suddenly dropped

like the slip yolk isnt doing its job correctly

In your case, all you need to do it take the driveshaft off and grease the slip yoke....it's a fairly common issue....drove mine for a couple years doing that....always thought it was the brakes maybe sticking a little bit. I read about it on here and had the DS off changing a ujoint, slapped some grease on the output shaft and put the DS back on and the "thump" went away.

if you're talking about what I think you're talking about, it seems like some sort of gear backlash in the transmission.
When I'm on the throttle and let off, it kind of clunks back in when I get back on the throttle. I can hear the down shift through the exhaust when it does this.

Mine has done this since it was stock. If it's the same thing, it's not the transfer case because I'm running a different case and it still does it.

All in all I think it's prety cool lol.

Mines a 96 with 110 on the clock and shifts perfectly FWIW, my old 94 didn't do this.

UNCC_99XJ said:
In your case, all you need to do it take the driveshaft off and grease the slip yoke....it's a fairly common issue....drove mine for a couple years doing that....always thought it was the brakes maybe sticking a little bit. I read about it on here and had the DS off changing a ujoint, slapped some grease on the output shaft and put the DS back on and the "thump" went away.

X2 on the slip yoke.

if U have already checked driveshaft & u-joint check your rear diff, I'd similar problem on the diesel one, the pinion nut was a bit loose so no preload and some play on the pinion, I was luky to discover it before destroy my 4.11.....

Unexpectedly, my mystery clunk I've since I dropped my t/c might be solved. Gracias people. I guess it's time for an sye. Dropping the case cured the vibes but I've had clunk with the drop feeling ever since. I changed the mounts, retorqued u-bolts, shackles, etc. It only happens when taking off in a straight line at brisk acceleration & only occasionally so I've living with it. I'm replacing my springs in the near future & figured that would cure it but I'm going to try grease on the yoke tonight!

Back