• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case drain and fill Fears coming true?

cmahaff

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

I had some issues getting into four wheel drive the other day. I haven't had any issues with my transfer case prior to this, but i have been meaning to drain and fill my NP242 for a while now, but this recent issue inspired me to do it asap.

The stuff i drained was fairly dark. But not black. With a decent amount of tiny silver pieces. Nothing too big. It only drained about .8 liters. So it was definitely low.
Filled it back up with conventional dex3

As soon as i put it in drive i noticed an unfamiliar grinding sound. It sounds like its coming from directly below the four wheel drive shifter.

Initially i thought the fluid might need a chance to disperse throughout the case. I drove it to work today and its still happening. I cant say that i hear anything strange when actually driving. But the jeep is fairly loud.

I definitely notice it at 0 mph in drive and in reverse.
It seems to be shifting in and out of 4x4 okay after the new fluid.

I'm guessing I will need to remove the Tcase and see how it looks inside...?
That seems like it will be a big DIY project for me. I like to try and work on my own stuff but have never messed with drivetrains and transmission stuff

It's a 98 Cherokee classic. So it has the part time and fill time options

It is likely that the t-case chain is stretched, and rubbing on the case, creating the silver chips.

Either it is shifting correctly, or not ? Is the sound a rattle that goes away if you press on or lift slightly the 4x4 shifter handle, or a gear grinding sound ? A slight whirring noise from the t-case is normal.

Shifting troubles are likely a shifter mechanism adjustment issue, but the shift fork tabs could be worn.

Routine internal maintenance can be done with the t-case still in the Jeep, but working on the bench is easier.

Sitting in the driveway, in drive or reverse, it is making a grinding sound. It does come and go, but it is definitely there more than not. It is more of a grinding sound than a rattle.

Driving in 2wd or 4wd: it shifts gears fine. And using the 4x4 lever is smooth. The lever moves back and fourth between 2wd, PT, and FT smoothly at speed and when parked.

I tested the four-wheel drive out in a parking lot today and it is definitely engaging and going into four-wheel drive. One time it seemed to struggle a little bit coming out of 4 wheel drive. I would push the lever back to 2 wheel drive and it did not leave four-wheel drive. It eventually did after driving straight for a little while. But that was the only one issue I had when testing out the engagement of the four-wheel drive in the parking lot. Again the lever is having no issues moving.

The jeep has about a hundred and sixty five thousand miles on it and to my knowledge the transfer case fluid has never been changed before.

I watched a few videos and it seems fairly straightforward removing the transfer case. I just really worried about messing it up worse or possibly not getting things back together correctly

If the chain is indeed too loose, would it just be a coincidence that I started noticing the noise immediately after I put in new oil? Or are the two related

Shoot, I don't know enough about the fluids to have been able to tell at the time. I do believe it was dark red in color. Here is a YouTube link of when it got drained, I don't know if anyone would be able to tell from that.

I also did my best to record the sound, hopefully this link to my Google Drive will work. If it does, the sound gets a little more noticeable halfway through the sound clip. And I'm starting to think it might sound like a chain dragging on metal. I'm not sure

I also think I can hear the noise when it's in park now. Would that chain be turning when I'm in park?

https://youtu.be/qkyWR637rh0

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10ZoE2cD0kxlVmc4YsbsvDVn0ppbSxSBy/view?usp=drivesdk

You might have to download the sound clip to get it to work.

And I just tried the link after sending it to my girlfriends phone and it didn't sound great. So might be worthless idk

Sitting in the driveway, in drive or reverse, it is making a grinding sound. It is more of a grinding sound than a rattle.

I definitely notice it at 0 mph in drive and in reverse.

Does it make the noise in drive or reverse while you are sitting still or do you need to be moving? Big difference.
If it makes noise sitting still, nothing is moving in the transfer case to make noise.
If so, there is a good chance the noises caused by some thing rubbing, when in gear. Suspect a bad motor or transmission mount that is allowing the driveline to move, when in gear.

Wanna bet the exhaust pipe is touching the crossmember making the sound?

fIgGvcv

Wanna bet the exhaust pipe is touching the crossmember making the sound?

fIgGvcv
Ya, know....good point. I already know that the exhaust is hitting the cross member. I just redid my whole exhaust. I've been meaning to fix that also. That's is a different sound I am aware of when starting and shutting the jeep down. But I did recently take or n some pretty rough roads so maybe a new noise has spawned because of that. I will find a wood shim to put in between the two and see if anything changes as far as the noise I'm concerned about

Does it make the noise in drive or reverse while you are sitting still or do you need to be moving? Big difference.

I have only heard it when sitting still. The noise seems quite enough I wouldn't be able to hear it while moving even if it was happening

After this exhaust test I will check my mounts

10w-30 Motor oil is an acceptable choice for the TC fluid, works better in high heat areas, so maybe not so good in Denver.
As its a 242 TC maybe a tube of Limited slip additive would help with the noise.

A rattle at the 4x4 shifter is typically worn out bushings in the shift mechanism.

10w-30 Motor oil is an acceptable choice ...........

You seem to have the Cherokee manual transmission confused with the transfer case. Both the NP231 and the NP242 use ATF, not gear oil or 10W-30. Some people claim that New Process 231 and 242 transfer cases can safely use synthetic 5w30 engine oil, but there is no reason to use other than what is recommended, ATF. My 98 has +284,000 miles and the ATF filled transfer case shifts smoothly and makes no noises.

10w-30 Motor oil is an acceptable choice for the TC fluid, works better in high heat areas, so maybe not so good in Denver.

As its a 242 TC maybe a tube of Limited slip additive would help with the noise.

Theres no clutches in a 242 im not sure what limited slip additive would do.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

A rattle at the 4x4 shifter is typically worn out bushings in the shift mechanism.

You seem to have the Cherokee manual transmission confused with the transfer case. Both the NP231 and the NP242 use ATF, not gear oil or 10W-30. Some people claim that New Process 231 and 242 transfer cases can safely use synthetic 5w30 engine oil, but there is no reason to use other than what is recommended, ATF. My 98 has +284,000 miles and the ATF filled transfer case shifts smoothly and makes no noises.
Novak claims on their site that many folks are running 30 weight oils in the 231 and 242 woth no ill effect. Who knows. ATF is cheap and works fine.

Thought there were clutches? May be that's the 249 I'm thinking about.

Novak claims on their site that many folks are running 30 weight oils in the 231 and 242 woth no ill effect. Who knows. ATF is cheap and works fine.

I'd be hesitate to run 10W-30, since the viscosity is twice as thick as Dex-III at 100*F.

I'd be hesitate to run 10W-30, since the viscosity is twice as thick as Dex-III at 100*F.

10-30 was only suggested to be run in HIGH heat,HIGH load situations, where ATF was foaming and misting out the vent.

It was not to be used in NORMAL situations.

Hello 👋
I've been out of service for a few weeks

I am confident in the fluid that I used and don't think that is causing the sound.

I wonder if my Google drive link worked and anyone can hear the sound. It's most prominent starting at about nine seconds.

Back