• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JK 44s and other Fun Stuff

whitexj98

NAXJA Forum User
Well I figured I would document some of this for the next person doing a swap... This will be a years with of work.. It will jump around a bit because I'm going to post in my photo order. Picture quality will also increase as I eventually got a new phone...

It all started with a decent built Jeep on 35s..

4d366bafc8b4c37f5e2e6de1f888689f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

So before I get to the axles... I put these in...

La7ilXRl.jpg

Neat setup... and they caused a lot of headache mostly from me being dumb... When I made the bump pads I articulated the suspension... this was wrong..they should have been set at full bump... you will see what this caused.

CmeQ1Lcl.jpg

So went to the dunes for the first time... bumps were amazing... for about 1 hour.. then it all went to hell....

bdf0y35l.jpg

1meO6orl.jpg

Yeah so I bent the shock towers out and destroyed the bump ends... So parked it, road in my buddies jeep for the weekend then drove it 3.5 hours home.

So got it home and started trying to fix this mess.. Ended up cutting relief cuts in the towers so I could bend them back. Made solid top plates and lots of bracing... Ill let the pictures tell the rest

GCCuV84l.jpg

2IMp9nsl.jpg

WCSrsZ9l.jpg

Not done but called it good for now, actually picked up the axles the weekend before the dunes.. so I wanted to start on those...

Axles were out of a JK Rubicon. Dynatrac front, 4:88s, RCVs, big brake kit front.

kriaascl.jpg

Got them all stripped down

q4YJZJXl.jpg

And parts started coming in.

bftTrVll.jpg

rOfWe27l.jpg

Removed and plugged the sensor holes.

qzM33e4l.jpg

Rear axle went in quick. Just leaf perches, shock mounts, and made e brake mounts. Also upgraded the shocks to 5165s

hLgAWT1l.jpg

Q7hTMhtl.jpg

K8enX5cl.jpg

hsEJcfpl.jpg

NgzYnxPl.jpg

QCPddU7l.jpg

Took it out and drove it a bit to make sure it was all good to go before tearing down to paint it.

x4nuJNol.jpg

HyshlIil.jpg

I ran all stainless brake lines for the rear... no rust...

5tgs7ZAl.jpg

RZfyhvwl.jpg

y8tY7iRl.jpg

Sexy!!!

Definitely staying tuned in for the rest..

Are the new meats 37s? Or did you stick with 35s?

The sensor removed and plugged on the diff, was that some fancy JK fluid level sensor? Or did you remove the Elocker?

Last edited:
Sexy!!!

Definitely staying tuned in for the rest..

Are the new nests 37s? Or did you stick with 35s?

The sensor removed and plugged on the diff, was that some fancy JK fluid level sensor? Or did you remove the Elocker?

Keeping it on 35s, but more aggressive.

The plugs were for the sensors that tell you the locker in engaged on a Rubicon. I didn't feel the need to keep them and run more wiring. Both axles have the factory E lockers.

So with the rear done on to the front...

Good by dana 30..

7czDVGWl.jpg

I cut everything off except the uppers.

MBPNWvjl.jpg

I took a bunch of measurements off the d30 to get the lowers in the same position.

Artec lowers

3oxRiBkl.jpg

Also got the Artec ultimate coil mounts but didn't like the way they packaged so ended up with ballistic fab buckets. But they were way to tall, so I cut them down.

AtolbU8l.jpg

4JJtBSOl.jpg

wNliHyXl.jpg

Only thing I didn't like was the flat surface for the coil, I could have reused the cast dynatrac coil correction plate but I knew I would later want to weld bump stop extensions on so I got the solid steel ones Artec sells.

Frx8OVDl.jpg

I couldn't find a shock mount I liked so made some.. and turned out pretty good.

66qiOETl.jpg

3bMIaTIl.jpg

Upgraded the knuckles to Rancho "high steer"

9EXfvczl.jpg

YpTWXekl.jpg

So at this point I did a lot of measuring and adjusting to try to figure out the best angle to set the buckets at. I also found out that to get my ideal pinion angel my caster was at about 1 degree. I never looked into it but JKs only have 6* of separation, dana30 HP is 9* and this pro rock is an unlimited series so it came with 10* separation... 1 degree gain wasn't going to cut it.. so I decided to turn the Cs.

It was actually much easier then I thought it would be, I ended up adding about 7 degrees for a total of 17 degrees of separation.

OCHTwH4l.jpg

wLNWBSll.jpg

9AEBu9ul.jpg

I did 3 passes on each knuckle with my Miller 211 at max.

ILy3rp1l.jpg

Nice build so far. The ballistic coil buckets are likely that length off the axle due to the did they use when bending them. If they cut then out and then bend the axle opening portion would fall into the brake die. They could have use a roller die or cut the axle opening part after bending, but there's cost and such.

Keep it up!

Nice build. I like where you are going with it. I have one of those 44 front to put under my XJ but I am moving slow with it.

What are you doing with those steering knuckles you removed? I stay on the look out for some around North Florida. Would you be willing to let them go?

Next on the list was track bar bracket, I wanted to get as long as possible. I couldn't find anything I liked so made the whole thing...

9oxy1jEl.jpg

upI9WLQl.jpg

ECLYoYyl.jpg

9bcGEQMl.jpg

CdyTKhDl.jpg

And a brace for it..

Q1mM6j8l.jpg

YH2dwwfl.jpg

Mj9na1pl.jpg

At this point my buddie talked me into doing TNT high clearance inner fenders to maximize tire travel.

l7xT0wXl.jpg

xNhhZ3yl.jpg

NHUU9a9l.jpg

8oWv3HCl.jpg

vm7GjD7l.jpg

Battery Mounts

ps9SBtwl.jpg

AVQa2sBl.jpg

And added a brace for the bumps

KEecSBKl.jpg

aPxeVG6l.jpg

jLq15Uel.jpg

3xCaJCHl.jpg

And this gave me a place to mount the coolant overflow.

m6DE5vJl.jpg

With all the vehicle side complete I painted and installed to check it off

BDSk8T7l.jpg

dBz9Hu5l.jpg

mWD1UMjl.jpg

2 of the completed pics for the rear end look like it has a bronze tint or something I can’t find the color for lol... is it just the flash on some Por-15 or did you rattle can it?

I dig it too!

I think he has been done with the swap for a while... Just slowly putting the build up page together with pics and what not

For steering I wanted to keep TREs. Offset GM 1 ton tie rod and drag link is GM 1 ton high angle. Track bar is 5/8" heims on both ends. Wide Open Design 7075 1.5" aluminum.

Vo1M9XWl.jpg

nGrMqdal.jpg

Ruffstuff axle side track bar bracket.

UWeVVY4l.jpg

Figured a steering brace would be a good idea as well, so I got the Boostwerks. I wanted to keep my antirock so I also ordered the drop brackets. After mocking it up I didn't like how low the antirock was. So I cut it up and made it much better.

ZBUxiGil.jpg

MIzePnGl.jpg

7135KLxl.jpg

V1J3sjPl.jpg

Much better, arms don't clear but I will fix that later.

o9Gj1Hfl.jpg

Arms were not going to work, I made a bender setup for my press but the arms were still not long enough after bends so I ordered up longer ones from Currie.

JFWV938l.jpg

1ENaj4ll.jpg

Cycled the suspension a lot, its a tight fit but clears everything.

2lKkPAKl.jpg

Also matched the rear with new Bilstein 5160s. Listed for a TJ but work all the same. With the correct shocks I was also able to setup the limit straps and build new correctly setup (full bump) stops.

BKxxYdRl.jpg

WHvcoXDl.jpg

Made some simple coil retention features.

gkPUpn8l.jpg

uVeCQU2l.jpg

And a little baby Bilstein steering stabilizer. This pic is also at full bump checking clearance, I cycled this axle so many times...

90e7e4Kl.jpg

XJ44s lol xj.... man this thing looks fun. Nice welds btw, I hope I can weld that clean one day. ive never seen those knuckles before, but then again ive never followed jk stuff.

looking forward to whats next, let the good times roll!

Back