• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 Bone Stock XJ Sport

Crab Pot

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA,

New Guy Here.

Been lurking around here since I decided to buy an XJ about a year ago. As I age my tolerance of the cold and dust in my CJ5 has become limited. And I'm at the point where air conditioning for me and the wife is a nice luxury to have.

Finally pulled the trigger before Christmas and bought me a stock XJ with 146K miles. Not the "Little Ole Lady from Pasadena" score but close.

This rig is going to be my daily driver so I won't be getting all "Rubicon/Fordyce Trail" ready.

Which brings me to my questions that I'd appreciate some guidance on.

My main wheeling will be on hunting and camping trips. Minor to moderate skill level obstacles. I have many years of saddle time in various Jeeps and Scouts so it's not a skill thing, it's a money thing.

What I'd like opinions on are how high of a lift can I go without changing various other hoses, cables, and ect?

What size tire?

Should I upgrade axles?

What bolt on's would you recommend?

Stuff like that.

I'm $4000 into the truck now and think a budget of $5-6K should get me set up real nicely and keep my wife from filing divorce papers. I have boats too so she knows how I get.

Anyway, I'm new here so if I posted this in the wrong section please move it to where it needs to go.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

If it we're me for mostly doing service road type stuff and maybe a little more, I'd do a 2in budget boost, 30x9.5 tires, t case skid and some sway bar discos. If you can drive that setup can get you a ton of places. Tow points front and rear too. Your rear leaf condition will dictate what direction you go. If they're a little worn but not totally clapped out, I'd go for a full length 2.5 add a leaf. If they're pretty saggy you may need new springs.

Put some 235/75 all-terrain tires on it, replace the rear leaf springs if they are sagging and put a true-trac in the rear axle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

OME lift and shocks, some manner of HD tracbar, 31' tires, 4.10 gears, true Trac limited slip front and rear, rock rails, skid plates, tow hooks.

HD SYE and driveshaft depending on how it reacts to the lift.

Pretty much this, except nix the tow hooks and go with a front receiver hitch.

MUCH stronger, will reinforce the entire front end, and won't bend on side-pulls. Plus, front receiver hitch for spotting trailers, or attaching a removable winch tray to.

Also, I'd go with RE springs and Doetsch Tech shocks, personally.

All good info so far, but since it's a 99 I would get the lift done to see if you have any drivetrain issues. After that at least some rocker protection and go from there.
What axle do you have?

Thanks everyone, I have a lot of reading to do.

I bought a brand new set of Smittybilt rock sliders on Craig's List for $175, still in the box.

I plan on putting a Rough Country front winch bumper and a JCR (?) rear with spare tire rack.

Once I get those knocked out up it will go up, I'm thinking 3.5" with 31" tires. Still thinking on the tires but I like semi-narrow tires like tripped suggested.

No idea on wheels yet, guess that's another discussion.

Armor of the oil pan, t-case, and tank should wrap it up.

I'm still open to other thoughts and suggestions so please keep them coming.

Can't figure out photo posting...is there a way to post photos without using a service?

Sorry- Not sure which axles I have. Need to climb under there and figure that out.

Last edited:
I'm going to second Kittrell's recommendation, OME springs and shocks.

I'll add Dana 44 rear axle if you can find one at a good price.

I had a TrueTrack in a Dana 35 that didn't last long. If you have a Chrysler 8.25,

that should do much better for you.

If he has a ChryCo 8.25 and isn't building this thing extreme, it will be just fine. By all means if it's the D35, get rid of it in favor of a D44.

Buy a set of 17" steel wheels for a Magnum/Charger. Lot easier to find spares on the road. Tons of ten ply all terrains to chose from in 17 inch.

I've yet to build a 97-01 but I find four inches of lift is where you need to start accommodating things.

Thanks everyone, I have a lot of reading to do.

I bought a brand new set of Smittybilt rock sliders on Craig's List for $175, still in the box.

I plan on putting a Rough Country front winch bumper and a JCR (?) rear with spare tire rack.

Once I get those knocked out up it will go up, I'm thinking 3.5" with 31" tires. Still thinking on the tires but I like semi-narrow tires like tripped suggested.

No idea on wheels yet, guess that's another discussion.

Armor of the oil pan, t-case, and tank should wrap it up.

I'm still open to other thoughts and suggestions so please keep them coming.

Can't figure out photo posting...is there a way to post photos without using a service?

Sorry- Not sure which axles I have. Need to climb under there and figure that out.

You have to use a host to post photos. Imgur is what a lot have switched to after the photobucket flop.

What Kittrell said is spot on. You should have a 8.25 in the rear and HP30 up front. Both are great axles and more than enough for what you need. If by some chance you have a 35 rear a 8.8 is a great swap and cheaper than a D44. Will also have 31 spline axles, LSD and disc brakes. It is a little bigger of an axle and some will say you'll "dig trenches with 31's" but I liked it on my setup when I had it and never any issues with hanging too low.

Also suggest upgrading your tie rod and steering. Cheap and easy fix is the ZJ tire rod, but whatever you do get a solid tie rod. Nothing like tacoing the wheels and being stranded because you over looked that part.

Definitely go with 10.5 tires. 12.5 on 31's look silly.

If he has a D35 then he most likely has ABS brakes, so that would need to be addressed also!

Buy a set of 17" steel wheels for a Magnum/Charger.

I wouldn't even consider that for 2 reasons!
Unless your running 35's or larger, you don't get enough sidewall height.
15" tire are the most common, specially on the trail!

He is probably suggesting those for brake clearance. I am not familiar with that setup though.

If the OP went with that size of a tire, then yes you would need at least 16" wheels(depending on B.S.). I run 265/75/16's on Rubi rims and love that combination and they look and work great with the 4.5" backspacing.

Last edited:
What has the tire to do with rim size and fitment to the vehicle, so long as it's made for a given rim?

I'm not sure how to interpret that but just because it bolts-on doesn't make it right! Tire and wheels effects the entire build!

If the vehicle was designed with a 15, what has he changed to require a 16?

This Site Is Awesome!

PhotoBucket has GUTTED so many forums with their BS policies-I refuse to use them. I moderate hunting, Fishing, and Snowmobile websites and its a real shame what they have done.

Going to bed early because Cod Season ends Sunday and tomorrow is my last chance to add to the freezer till November. Getting up at Dark-Thirty.

Going to knock the $hit out of the crab too.

Thank you everyone.

I'm going to like this site,

Steve

Back