• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift kits

xjdavid1

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking for a good quality 4.5" lift kit for my XJ. I want a kit with a full leaf replacement and adjustable upper control arms. RE used to be very good, are they still good now that they are made in China. I want quality not cheap.

OME will be your best bet for your coils and leafs. IRO makes a good all around kit, Ironman4x4 makes quality stuff for arms and such. Really there is no perfect lift in a box. Everyone has different idea of a "good" and will require you to probably piece together your ideal lift. A lot also depends on your terrain and what you do. rock bouncing will be a lot different than mud slinging.

Really should start to consider long arms instead of short arms. No tallest OME coil is 3.5 but you can add ACOS or a spacer to gain more. OME just has great riding stuff. If your playing in rocks ride quality wont matter as much. Still dont want stupid stiff springs though. What size tires you running? What else is done to your rig?

Will be running 33" tires, SYE, Adjustable Tracbar, long travel OME shocks. I was thinking of RE but apparently the quallity is not what is was a few years ago and I am not keen on there non bonded bushes in the control arms. Also the older RE kits had tapered end on their leaf springs which I would like. I will stay with short arms for now.

SFR 4 link kit would be a good option for a nice rig and good trail manners. You can add their crossmember/skidplate and fab up your own arms using Summit Machine Flex Joints. I ran these joints for 11 yrs and 110k miles before rebuilding them and they were still tight. I only rebuilt them because they came out with new race material with a machined grease groove so they are easier to lube and super quiet.
Add some quality coils and Deaver Jeepspeed 4" leaf springs for the best ride and performance.
I realize that you are in land down under, so shipping these goods might not be cost effective.

Metal cloak has a 3.5 system. Very good flex, though not the cheapest. If I were buying this size lift again I would Second OME, very nice ride on their spring's. Keep in mind any kit is more or less bolt in. The difference in piecing your own kit together is usually you can achieve a better overall package because you've selected parts based on your needs. Do not assume a "kit" will have everything needed.

Have you had any experience with the metalcloak duraflex joints. How long do they last.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

No I have not, but I wouldn't hesitate buying them either. Their coil springs are a bit uncommon as well, you may like what they offer or not.

I don't know the specifics ,but at some point RE had some folk that work now with metal cloak. Products are rather similar...

What do you plan on using your jeep for? Weekend warrior, DD, Rollin over rocks, chewing through mud???

Your budget can vary greatly to do this right, but it depends on what you want out of your vehicle. I believe it still stands safe to say that you get what you pay for on suspension parts.

I do a lot of hard wheeling on steep ruts and also rocks. Its not a daily driver but I want to keep it a drivable on the hiway as possible as couple of times a year I drive 15hrs to go hard wheeling. I have had experience with a RE kit that was about 12 years old. The leaf springs were tapered where as the current RE leaf springs look a lot cheaper. Alo they used some thicker and thinner leaves. The new ones look a lot cheaper. Also I have had experience with their rubber bushes and ended up cutting them off and welding on a cold cut ring and using a factory rubber bush. Disappointed with the direction RE have gone.

I've been running the same set of RE Super-flex joints now for 16yrs. I've never done or needed to do anything but grease them!

Sounds like you guys have had your Jeeps for a while. Have you had any problems with cracks at the top of the B pilliar. I have had my 95 for 19 years. The cracks started happening around the same time I put the roof sliders on and I also have a ORO dual rate swaybar which maybe puting more twist on the chassis. I have just tiged them up so see how they go. I had a panel beater do them last time and they just cracked again. I think he used a mig.

did you stop-drill the ends of the cracks?

Back