• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My XJ's Big Boy Stage II

So Fedex dropped the ball on my stiffeners. Was suppose to have them early last week but I am still waiting on them. Been going back and forth with customer service to figure it all out. Other than that should have gears ordered by then end of this week or next. Then can get the axle back under the jeep and start pulling it all back together.

No weld on the front of the link tower?

Also...more pics of the bike?

There is weld there just kinda inset.. I left a little gap to set water and shit drain.. As for that trike no I don't lol it was one of my buddy's dad's project thing.. Went back last this weekend and it's gone ha

Well finally got my stiffeners in thursday. Got them on today and painted along with painted the all the links.

IMG_0934_zpsmufixhmv.jpg

IMG_0935_zpsvint2oiu.jpg

IMG_0938_zps1x1cdxdp.jpg

Gears came in over the weekend. Going to ordered ball joints and steering very soon then will be pulling it all back together.. Taking my hubs down to a buddy of mines machine shop some weekend soon to have my hubs redrilled to 8x6.5 and the centers bored for 35 spline.

d3cfe05e88c0cce2d912a27ffb13c330.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

Made some bolts for my knuckles today.. Had some 20mm class 8.8 blanks at the house that were more than long enough. So took them to a shop I use to work at and lathed them down and threaded them 3/4 16. Also ordered steering and ball joints yesterday, should be here either by the end of this week or next.

20836f640a95e8a658e3f58cc69a7462.jpg

d868a84106d6e3cb848beee52f8faa00.jpg

b9c03065458605b4496ec4155b71fd59.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

Coming to the final stretch here. Dropped my hubs off to get redrilled to 8 on 6.5, Ball Joints came in the other day, steering should be here monday and school is almost over for the summer. Took the carrier over today and welded it up. After I welded all the usually spots I took a piece of 2" .25 wall scrap we had laying around and cut it down to fit between the two side gears then cut the center pin down and welded it all in. That way I can punch a shaft through if I were to break one without sacrificing too much strength.. Should be gearing the 60 next week hopefully then I'll be putting it under the Jeep for good!!

IMG_1057_zpsef6zdbzf.jpg

IMG_1056_zpslf0vyhhj.jpg

IMG_1055_zpsufpy0twb.jpg

IMG_1007_zpsil5jqcdm.jpg

So finished up gearing the axle monday night and the axle back under the next day. Had to shorten my upper about an inch to get it to sit about right. Flanges and Stubs came in yesterday as well. Today I got the Jeep on its own weight and started work on the steering. Got as far as making the tie rod. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the drag link made and maybe with some rollers get it out of the garage!

IMG_1103_zpsrnhymr1h.jpg

IMG_1104_zpsad0vhxnw.jpg

IMG_1105_zpsswbpdsat.jpg

IMG_1111_zpswrj2acjs.jpg

IMG_1112_zpsjkmnlokk.jpg

IMG_1113_zpshwgpgxtn.jpg

Got a lot done this weekend. Started off with finishing up the steering. Angles are perfect. A little worried about my drag link hitting my track bar mount but won't know for sure till I stretch its legs a little. I did get it out of the garage friday evening and picked up my wheel bearings from being drilled to 8 on 6.5, But going to be dropping those off tomorrow to get the center bored out for 35 spline. Still need to do brakes, swap out the stub shafts and figure out what I am doing about the driveshaft yoke and the 60 will be finished. Got started on the cage too. Cut out the B and C pillars. The B I cut out carefully so I could reinstall it. The C I just cut. I am going to tie the C into my shock hoops so left enough to slug it to some new tube. Other than that should have it done within the next week or two then I'll have to find a place to test her out!

IMG_1118_zpsunw9ln3n.jpg

IMG_1119_zpsdw9mquwc.jpg

IMG_1130_zps5hdakcvu.jpg

IMG_1131_zpsvs63z23j.jpg

IMG_1134_zpslgurzawn.jpg

IMG_1136_zpsn1dj7b7n.jpg

IMG_1137_zpseggou2ap.jpg

Got the front end back together completely and over to my buddy's shop thursday to get a few things extra welded in and the cage finished. Added in some bracing on my track bar bracket. I plan on adding a piece of tube in to tie it to the other side but I'll see how that goes. Got shock tabs in and got the A, B and D pillars welded in. Gonna try to bend up some tube tomorrow for the C pillar and dash bar along with adding in some other pieces for extra bracing. Took it through our little rock garden there to see how well it would work. Its not much but was able to tell me what I needed to know. Everything clears when its flexed out except for fender. Need to add in some extra bump stopping to take care of that. Other then that she seemed to work fairly well.

IMG_1176_zpsuzgvjr46.jpg

IMG_1177_zpsriezxglf.jpg

IMG_1178_zpsdvtjsrnt.jpg

IMG_1179_zpsyugweajq.jpg

IMG_1168_zpsiongsezs.jpg

IMG_1170_zpst6x8jfvm.jpg

IMG_1171_zpspfsefcfk.jpg

IMG_1173_zpskwessgtc.jpg

Got some tube work done today. Going to get dash bar added in and some tie ends done in the next few days. Also have to get my hydro ram mounted up then its back to my house to tie up some loose ends to have it ready for Gulches next weekend.

IMG_1209_zpsrjqiugwk.jpg

IMG_1211_zpshchgadsc.jpg

IMG_1212_zps9ujiedhb.jpg

IMG_1214_zpsnq1vygmr.jpg

The XJ will be coming home tomorrow to get some final tinkering done before this weekend's ride at Gulches ORV. Got the Hydro ram mounted up and some frame tie-ins on the cage. I need to add a little more bumpstop to the front and replace the water pump but other than that she's ready to ride. Its not done by any means but will be enough to go wheeling this weekend. Then it will be back at the shop getting some more tube work and maybe a few little small things before hopefully Harlan in July.

IMG_1263_zpsorqupwld.jpg

IMG_1268_zpsxyoemi2z.jpg

IMG_1269_zpsxuigrp3g.jpg

Back