View Single Post
Old September 10th, 2014, 22:12
Stranger

Re: [Tech writeup] How to rebuild your starter

Good stuff.

I meant to do a write up when I tore into my starter a few months back. Edit: Went looking for it. Here is the source for parts that I used: http://www.aspwholesale.com/index.ph...productId=5985 That link can get you to other, individual pieces, not just the full rebuild kit. For my starter the parts are found under "Mitsubishi" rather than "Jeep".

One thing I would point out is that replacing just the brushes is something which could be done fairly easily on the trail, and the parts you would need to carry do not take up much space at all. At least, this is the case for the Mitsubishi starter which is in my '96. This may not be the ideal fix, but it could be a simple solution to keep things moving until a better opportunity came along.

The complete brush assembly fits in a small box, about 3" square and less than 1" tall.

I think it is worth carrying. You can wear your brushes down the nubbins and not realize it until it is too late.

I highly recommend getting the complete assembly. There are two brushes which you can replace by themselves fairly easily, but the other two are resistance welded to the retainer. Unless you have the ability to weld copper wires to steel sheet metal you are going to be disappointed. (It is the two on the LH side which go through the grommet which are readily replaced, but the two on the right are another matter entirely.)

If you remove all four screws out of the back of the starter you can then pull the back cover off without messing with the solenoid or the front gears at all. In fact, if it were necessary I think this could be done without even removing the starter from the vehicle. I wouldn't make that my first choice method, but if I absolutely had to, I think I could do it.

The fun part it getting the brushes pushed back in their holders so you can slip the assembly back onto the end of the armature.

You have to go from this:

To this (Holding all four brushes back with just two fingers):

So that you can then end up with this:

Then you just clock the brush assembly so it will line up with the screw holes in the back cover. slip the cover on, reinstall all four screws and you have replaced your brushes.

Get back home and you can tear it down properly and clean up the contacts and what not as explained by the OP.

BTW, getting the solenoid screws loose is indeed an absolute pain. I have found that one of the hand held impact tools is a good answer. One of these:

Last edited by Anak; September 10th, 2014 at 22:21.