• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Future Overland XJ Build

Thank you Anak. I did add a few more items like a steel steering box spacer and d30 reinforcement plates
I also tried to restrain myself a little on my recommendations because I usually like to overbuild and overthink everything. The majority of overlanders will be on dirt roads and not need everything that someone that will spend time on rocks will need.

A few of the extra items that I would suggest which are probably overkill are
-frame stiffeners front to back (For longevity, Yes even dirt roads will fatigue the unibody)
-Steering box brace (Ironmanfab, Boostwerks [Batches are in the works], or BadDadFab)
-2x6 sliders (More clearance than Traditional sliders)

The BadDadFab brace would even provide you with front tow points and a hidden winch mount all in one.

Thank you Anak. I did add a few more items like a steel steering box spacer and d30 reinforcement plates
I also tried to restrain myself a little on my recommendations because I usually like to overbuild and overthink everything. The majority of overlanders will be on dirt roads and not need everything that someone that will spend time on rocks will need.

A few of the extra items that I would suggest which are probably overkill are
-frame stiffeners front to back (For longevity, Yes even dirt roads will fatigue the unibody)
-Steering box brace (Ironmanfab, Boostwerks [Batches are in the works], or BadDadFab)
-2x6 sliders (More clearance than Traditional sliders)

The BadDadFab brace would even provide you with front tow points and a hidden winch mount all in one.

Boostwerks does make a hidden winch mount, too. Both Bad Dad Fab and Boostwerks hidden winch mounts do require cutting the front plate. I have installed my BDF and like it. I do have the Boostwerks also. It will be installed on my next rig.

Boostwerks does make a hidden winch mount, too. Both Bad Dad Fab and Boostwerks hidden winch mounts do require cutting the front plate. I have installed my BDF and like it. I do have the Boostwerks also. It will be installed on my next rig.

Since you have both (Ive been back and forth on which to get) Which one has the best approach angle? I know you dont have the Boostwerks installed yet but maybe a comparison of how far they stick out and which one hangs lower on the "Frame".

The other one that is coming out soon (hopefully) is the Alpine Peak Precision Hidden winch plate/bumper

https://www.facebook.com/alpinepeakprecision/

Since you have both (Ive been back and forth on which to get) Which one has the best approach angle? I know you dont have the Boostwerks installed yet but maybe a comparison of how far they stick out and which one hangs lower on the "Frame".

The other one that is coming out soon (hopefully) is the Alpine Peak Precision Hidden winch plate/bumper

https://www.facebook.com/alpinepeakprecision/

That one has a terrible approach angle!

My view is the approach angle would come down to what bumper you choose. I'll see if I can dig out the instructions for the Boostwerks Comp mount. I'll probably put the Logan's plain bumper with the Boosterwerks. It is what I planned. So, in that instance the DBF's would have better approach. ??? One question that is on my mind, is the install of the winch itself. Both are going to be heavy, to put up there. For a thread on the Boostwerks Comp Mount, I think its going to be easier, and if you need to pull the winch. I would also say the 'steering brace' aspect, the Comp mount is a bit Heavy Duty er.
For the build the BDF is on, its plenty. Its a 2" lift. It does get looks, and I think it would take a beating. I am doing a build similar to yours. Not exactly why the Boostwerks is going on that. But I might lean that way.
The Alpine looks good. I will say The BDF looks a bit thinner or better approach. Also, BDF has thinner bumper or wings than what I went with. I did notice Alpine's track bar brace. Looks beefy. I have Stinky's on my 2" lift. I also have RE and Ironman's going on my next build or my MJ. I think Ironmans on my next build, and his OTK track bar. The Ironman's steering box brace on the MJ.
I'm waffling on what axles to go with on my next build. So, I'll be keeping track of what you are doing. I did want to go with Tons. But I don't want the width of them. I'll probably be going 5.5" lift. So, probably 33-36" tires. So, not real need for Tons.
Hope this info helps some.

I did look at my BW Comp mount instructions. I forgot to look at my BDF this morning. I took the other (running) XJ today. So, from memory. I think the BDF sticks out about 2-3 inches more. The BWs is flush with the front frame. The BWs is straight across for the attachment points. BDF in just around the gear box side. I didn't check to see if the BWs clamps around the gear box housing or just the sector shaft. The Ironman does both and the BDF does too.
The BW's bolts to the bottom and the front. The BDF, front, bottom and sides. I think both back to the stock sway bar holes. The BDF on the sides, back to the large hole after the gear box holes. So, this can complicate the install. I did have Ruffstuff front stiffeners installed. There was some frame damage to mine. So, I did have to grind some on the front frame stiffeners. BDF did space out the cradle for this.
Now, as for approach. Even though BDF is say 3 inches out further, the front is used as an attachment point for BDF's bumper(s). I think it adds strength, as to wider spacing. Also, two things as a possible + for BDF. First, the top of the cradle does expose the winch, is the bumper is off. I feel it is easy to take the bumper off. Its a bit lighter (from memory) than my Logan's bumper. BDF does make an exposed bumper, and with 'wings'.
I could see having a 'modular' bumper 'system'. One of the aspects of a hidden winch, is to keep it conciled so people don't mess with it. The down side is the acces. Also, sight of the cable when winding back in. So, if two center sections, one enclosed, the other tube framed for wheeling. Then bolt on the wings or bummperretes as needed.
On the Alpines, I like they put lights in the bumper. I've been wanting to do that. More as driving lights. Space is a premuim though. Possibly, HIDs.

My view is the approach angle would come down to what bumper you choose. I'll see if I can dig out the instructions for the Boostwerks Comp mount. I'll probably put the Logan's plain bumper with the Boosterwerks(originally planned). So, in that instance the DBF's would have better approach. ???

One question that is on my mind, is the install of the winch itself. Both are going to be heavy, to put up there. For a thread on the Boostwerks Comp Mount, I think its going to be easier, and if you need to pull the winch. I would also say the 'steering brace' aspect, the Comp mount is a bit more Heavy Duty.

For the rig the BDF is on, its plenty. It has a 2" lift and I think it would take a beating. I am doing a build similar to yours (OP). Not exactly why the Boostwerks is going on that, but I might lean that way.

The Alpine looks good. I will say The BDF looks to have a better approach. Also, BDF has thinner bumper winglets which is what I went with.

I did notice Alpine's track bar brace which looks beefy. I have Stinky Fab's on my 2" lift rig. The Rubicon Express and Ironman Fab's track bar brace is going on my next build or my MJ.

I think Ironmans track bar brace on my next build with his OTK track bar. Then the Ironman's steering box brace on the MJ.

I'm waffling on what axles to go with on my next build. So, I'll be keeping track of what you are doing. I did want to go with Tons, but I don't want the width of them. I'll probably be going 5.5" lift with 33-36" tires. So, not real need for Tons.

Hope this info helps some.

I tried to clean up the post a little for you (Was a little hard for me to read originally), hopefully it holds the same info.

As for your approach comment, I agree that the final bumper design will ultimately be the deciding factor of approach angle but I am trying to figure out which of the 2 bases is the most tucked into the frame if you weren't going to run an additional bumper or winglets.

The Alpine Peak Precision mount looks to have the same pillow ball support design as the Boostwerks so I would assume they were similar in overall height.??? However I agree that it appears to hang much lower than the other two. Would be nice to see them all in person side by side to compare.

Cleaned up post seems OK.
Here is BDF's Face Book Page:
https://www.facebook.com/Baddadfab/photos/959234161315917

If you scroll down on Apline's Photo's you can get a clear perspective from his prototype.

To be clear, I think both BDF and BWs have the same drop height. BW's is further back in. With similar bumpers, I think both of them would have the same approach. I could see that a bumper could be made to be further back in. Still, I'd argue that then the bumper would not protect as much. I'd actually like the BDF's bumper out about 1-3 inches more. I have that same view on the IRO rear bumper. Again, mine is a 2" lift road/very light trail runner. To paraphrase Forged in Fire, "I'm not concerned what my bumper does to others, I'm concerned what damage is done to my XJ." Still, I am happy with my choices. I also, want to see what acces I have to the winch, when I get it installed. I want to try and install it with the header removed.

Edit: Here's a thread with the BW Comp Mount installed:
https://comancheclub.com/topic/57401-comanche-dawn/

Last edited:
Back