• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pre-runner type suspension stuff

happy B day strat sorry I could not attend.

slcpunk74 said:
Im gonna make my uppers and lowers so I need to just find those tapered bushing deals.
most any "race" shock will already come with the misalignment spacers for the rod ends that allow them to articulate plenty without also adding tapered weld washers on the shock mount itself. But if you do feel you need to do that style then you can find them at aa manufacturing, camburg, mckenzies, kartek etc. I measured the rod end mounting width in the shock, took the spacers out and shimmed with washers until they were slightly overwide for weld shrinkage, bolted the two shock mount plates together and welded them up. I used the T&Js mounts on top to save time.
IMG_1072.jpg

here is a pic of my rear lower mounts with the spacers from the shock in place shimmed up with washers and a .100" thick tab, one extra washer for weld shrinkage and the shocks fit nice and snug as they should.
IMG_0980.jpg

good luck

looking good chris! i'd like to see the engine bay side of your shock mounts if you have a pic... did you cut into the engine bay at all or just plate the inner fenderwell from underneath? is that thin steel sturdy enough to take the force of the shocks pushing against it?

I made my own lower shock mounts, similar to what XJeeper did, and I use the JKS upper mount. I needed to move my lower mounts out some to help the shock clear the frame when fully articulated.

Old thread I know, but I figured My question could be answered here.

Is the anything wrong with mounting a reservoir shock's reservoir upside down(shrader valve pointed up) to the shock body?

Just wondering if it could operate properly that way. The shocks I just got bought hose is really too long to mount it the correct way.
Absolutely not, that's fine, but damn how long is that hose? Seems like it would have to be a good 2 feet to allow it to mount like that. What kind of shocks?

A friend of mine did this.

IM009593.jpg

I would have mounted them slightly higher so the hose has more clearance.

Mosephus:
what kind of shocks are those? procomps? edelbrocks? i ate up a set of procomps that looked just like those with one trip to the dunes. they got so hot melted rubber from the seals was oozing out of the bottom along with the oil.

I'd bet they are Edelbroks. They clearanced them out for like $61.00 a shock.

If you run the hose higher and further forwars you are in front of the pinch weld seam.

Then use a couple of clamps to hold the hose in place. The reservoir higher up. The hose will be safe that way.

My fenders are cut so much that I couldn't do it. I'll try and post a picture of my inner fender rework I'm doing later today.

If you run the hose higher and further forwars you are in front of the pinch weld seam.

Then use a couple of clamps to hold the hose in place. The reservoir higher up. The hose will be safe that way.

My fenders are cut so much that I couldn't do it. I'll try and post a picture of my inner fender rework I'm doing later today.

you were the one talking about moving the battery and taking that dip in the fender "out" right?

btw where have you been for the last few months?

you were the one talking about moving the battery and taking that dip in the fender "out" right?

btw where have you been for the last few months?

The dip is done and the wheelwell is huge due to other work I've done.

I also removed the spring tower and will probably be going with some 14" coilovers if I can afford them. If not I'll run some leaf springs I have until I can afford it.

I made the front dip disappear and now the wheelwheel ends just under the headlight. I removed the turn signal and will put a new light into the raised bumper ends. The side marker will be shorted about 2"
and reused.

The back is stretched back about 7" so it ends below the a-piller. I have one spot to weld in and some cleanup left to do.

Pictures will come soon hopefully. A friend is going to help me out.

I had another back fusion done a couple of months ago. I have to wear a back brace for about 2 more months.

I'd love to see some pics, I remember you talking about it and wanting to do it. but not wanting to be the guinea pig
:D
and I'd definitely save a few months and do coilovers instead of skimp for a bit and do leaves.
pics would be awesome!

bummer about the back man, I was supposed to have surgery about a year or so ago, but for some reason my back problems suddenly disappeared...
I'm sure that'll come back to bite me someday though...

Old thread I know, but I figured My question could be answered here.

Is the anything wrong with mounting a reservoir shock's reservoir upside down(shrader valve pointed up) to the shock body?

Just wondering if it could operate properly that way. The shocks I just got bought hose is really too long to mount it the correct way.

Just to add to the answer you already got, the oil and air in the reservoir is seperated by a dividing piston, so it makes no difference how the reservoir is mounted.

That's a long hose........ :)

Back