• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ with 122K...Is it prone to head problems?

I'm pretty sure I got duesched by the 0331 too, Just noticed this past month when I started daily driving my 2001 XJ and coolant was mysteriously dissapearing after I changed the radiator/thermostat. What do you guys think about using a new 0331 w/ a 5 year warranty?? B/c i found a shop w/ brand new reman'd for a decent price?? Or should I just keep searching til I can get a decent 0630...

My 2001 Limited's head went at 114K miles. I bought it new, with the towing package. Several years ago the plastic endcaps on my radiator starting leaking, in December, in Buffalo. I bought what I thought was the same heavy duty radiator my Jeep originally had. I didn't. I also ordered it just before Christmas, meaning it would take a while before it arrived. In the meantime I needed my Jeep, so I JB Weld'd the endcaps. This worked so well I decided not to replace my radiator until it failed. It did, in December, in Buffalo. When changing radiators I noticed the new one was noticeably thinner, maybe 3/8 to 1/2 inch. It was not the same as my heavy duty radiator. Since I bought it almost a year ago I couldn't take it back. I put in in. All was well until summertime. My Jeep never overheated, but if I shut it down, and then restarted it a few minutes later, it would register about 5 or even 10 degrees hotter than the 215 degree 12 o'clock position. My Jeep had never done this, even in 7 years of Arizona summers. I was going to replace the radiator, and had even bought the towing package radiator, but I was going to wait until springtime. I should not have done that. My head cracked. In December, in Buffalo. The only good thing is that I knew about the head's prone to cracking from NAXJA and other websites (Thanks). When my coolant went empty and the Jeep overheated, I refilled it with distilled water. When that went I knew I had a cracked head and parked my Jeep. The oil looked good; no milk at all. A new head from Summit (I think it's the Clearwater head) and the heavy duty radiator made my XJ run like new. The new head has a lot more metal on the topside between valve guides.
The moral of the story is don't trust the original 0331 head, even rebuilt. Them suckers crack, and always at the worst time!
On the plus side: before the change my XJ had a slight tappet knock when cold. Not anymore. It runs great. The engine sounds sweet. I had also drained the tranny fluid from the pain. When refilling I had to put 5 quarts in the tranny! For the last two quarts, I went to the store twice, buying one quart each time, because I knew there was no way it could take that much fluid. I think the thicker radiator holds more tranny fluid. If you want to upgrade your radiator, the towing package one is a good one, except for the plastic ends.

Last edited:
Back