View Single Post
Old October 19th, 2017, 00:22
Associate

Re: Pre-Production Sneak Peak at Boostwerks Comp Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
The two pitman nuts that I have removed from XJs (my own and AJ's) have been remarkably not very tight. My half educated guess is that the lock washer gradually drives the pitman arm deeper onto the splines, increasing the distance between the pitman arm and the nut and thereby reducing the effective torque setting. But the nuts still stay on. (And AJ's pitman arm was certainly plenty tight.)

The thought in my mind is that the torque figures you choose may not be nearly as important as would be going back and checking the torque setting 100 miles (and maybe 1,000 miles) later, especially so if you have removed the pitman arm.
are you using OEM pitman arms?

I used to have the loosening problem when I was running an aftermarket arm, and the metal was too soft, allowing the steering forces of the rig to essentially wallow out the splines in the arm and the nut becomes loose as a result.

I have been through several arms and between myself and a couple other guys we have tried just about every brand out there, the OEM arms are the only ones that hold up long term and don't loosen.