• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ Gas Tank Compatibility

JWK2KXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Some :smsoap: decided to break into our property and drill holes in my gas tank to steal all the gas out of it. (Doesn't anybody know how to siphon gas properly like in the old days?)

My XJ is a 2000 with the multilayer HDPE (plastic) 20 gallon fuel tank with the fuel sender assembly hole in the top of the tank that apparently nobody sells anymore (I saw one site that listed it as discontinued by Mopar). I'm keeping my eye on the local pick-your-part yards, but I was wondering: Did Chrysler use the same tank in any other model Jeeps or trucks? The local yards are currently light on their supply of 98-01 XJs. So I want to widen my search a bit if possible.

Also, if anyone in SoCal happens to have a 98-01 fuel tank lying around in need of a good home, hit me up. I'd love to take it off your hands (for reasonable compensation, of course).

I think you may be able to run a ZJ tank as well. That would be '93 to '98 Grand Cherokee. Those may be a bit more plentiful in the junkyards. At least gives you another option.

There is a thread around here on that topic. Since you are already using a tank with the threaded top/drop in pump assembly it should be easier than for those who are trying to convert a '96-down XJ.

ETA: Here is one thread that may be of interest to you. Brings up some of the issues you will run into, but not finished yet: https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1154068

Last edited:
That's the thread I used to step up to the plate on a ZJ tank.

Back