• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

2 day is $41 and 3 day is $54

That's not as bad as I thought... That place is a gold mine.... If you're close ish cotton we try to go there simi regular. Nothing to hard. Normal rigs consist is my xj on 35s, buddies explorer on 35s, and a land cruiser also on 35s.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Guess it’s time to start getting the XJ and my gear ready for the Shamrock Showdown at Windrock.

I need to:

- get a new battery
- fix the exhaust pipe that came apart at Wooly’s
- put a new u-joint in my spare pax side shaft
- get a new tarp for under my tent
- get an inverter so that I can run electric from my XK
- restock my first aid kit

Hummmm so I'm finally looking to purchase a winch and I think I've narrowed down to the x20 smitty. This is solely due to me being a cheap a$$... Steel vs synthetic? I'm not concerned with safety per say.. proper winching procedure should negate injury...(here's hoping and praying)

Weight savings is my thought. 32 lbs saved... Is that worth 220 bucks?

You may not be concerned with safety, but think about others that could be around you...I’m sure they would like to be safe! Synthetic is the way to go...if it breaks, you can also splice it in a pinch. Weight is helpful...don’t cheap out on a winch, it’s one thing you will want to work and work well when you need it.

You may not be concerned with safety, but think about others that could be around you...I’m sure they would like to be safe! Synthetic is the way to go...if it breaks, you can also splice it in a pinch. Weight is helpful...don’t cheap out on a winch, it’s one thing you will want to work and work well when you need it.
What's your brand recommendation?

Hummmm so I'm finally looking to purchase a winch and I think I've narrowed down to the x20 smitty. This is solely due to me being a cheap a$$... Steel vs synthetic? I'm not concerned with safety per say.. proper winching procedure should negate injury...(here's hoping and praying)

Weight savings is my thought. 32 lbs saved... Is that worth 220 bucks?

Great winch. I use a 10K on Ghost. The synthetic is worth it.

Synth line of the same size is also rated to a higher breaking strength than steel - for example, the 3/8 Amsteel Blue I have on my Q11000 is rated to 17,600lbs compared to the 14,400 rating of the 3/8 wire rope it came with.

So: lighter weight (both on your jeep's nose and on your shoulder when pulling line on the trail), stronger for the same diameter, far easier/safer to handle and use, and field-spliceable for repair?

I can't think of a reason NOT to go synthetic...

I can't think of a reason NOT to go synthetic...

UV degradation. See it in the desert. But, that's easily solved with a cover.

David Bricker / SYR

Uv along with being impregnated with mud around here were my thoughts.... Normally if I'm stuck I'm in a muddy situation.
As to the rated strength I have concerns... Since synthetic is safer when it brakes, it makes me wonder if it has a lower factor of safety than steel line.... Just thinking out loud.

Every March I take a day off work and hit the junkyards. Tomorrow is supposed to be 75 and sunny after more than a week worth of sun so the yards shouldn't be terribly muddy.

I have a list of things I need and am going to hit at least three tomorrow. Then, over the weekend when it is rainy I can be in the garage working on my junk!

Raptor Liner on the roof after treating rust with Eastwood Rust Encapsaltor. Yehaw!

David_Bricker said:
UV degradation. See it in the desert. But, that's easily solved with a cover.

A fair point, and a cover is a good idea.

Uv along with being impregnated with mud around here were my thoughts.... Normally if I'm stuck I'm in a muddy situation.
As to the rated strength I have concerns... Since synthetic is safer when it brakes, it makes me wonder if it has a lower factor of safety than steel line.... Just thinking out loud.

The term "Factor of Safety" generally describes how many multiples of the "rated" load something is materially capable of handling (for example, a bridge rated 10 tons is likely built to handle 25-30 tons, because it has to be able to handle that 10 tons over the entire course of its life in service (which for highway bridges, could be decades, while the whole time the materials it's made from are aging from UV, vibration (vehicles/pedestrians crossing it), temperature cycles, and chemicals (winter deicer, acid rain, etc.).

In this case, let's say your Jeep weighs 4500lbs (a nice, round number). 3/8 steel is rated 14,400lbs breaking, so the factor of safety for steel is 3.2 in this case - the line can support 3.2 of your Jeep as a single load before breaking. 3/8 Synthetic rated for 17,600lbs gives a factor of safety of 3.911, so it can handle almost 4 of your Jeep, so the 3/8 synthetic has a higher "factor of safety" in this scenario.

As to your thinking on breaking behavior, stretch a rubber band until it snaps - stings when it whips back at where you're holding it and whacks you, doesn't it? This is what steel line is capable of when stretched to breaking. Synthetic is more like cotton sewing thread - pull on it until it breaks, and it pretty much just falls down.

Steel has a significant "plastic deformation" range - within that range you can deform/stress (stretch, in this case) it and when the load is removed it'll spring back like that rubber band. Exceed that range, and you break the line (snapping the rubber band). Steel is a very strong material and it has a sizeable plastic deformation range (it's what makes it such a strong/resilient structural material); exceed it and the material fails. When it does, the failure (snap) only relieves the stretch/tension at the exact point of failure - the rest of the line is still intact and has all that stretch energy in it, and it has to go somewhere. That's why when a steel line snaps it's like that rubber band - when the material parts at the failure point, the two now-loose ends recoil with devastating force. That force, multiplied by the mass of the cable (and steel cables are HEAVY), adds up to a LOT of momentum and it will do damage.

The Synthetics, on the other hand, have a higher failure strength but (assuming here) a very narrow "plastic deformation" band, so they can't really store up any energy, just like that cotton sewing thread (which, if you try the exercise I described above, shows little to no stretch before snapping). That's why the ends of a snapped synthetic line don't go hurtling back at you - there's no significant stretch to release once the line lets go, and the only significant force acting on it at that point is gravity. Besides, with a MUCH lower mass, even if the snythetic does recoil slightly, it'll do a LOT less damage.

(apologies for the long reply - I got started, unconsiously tapped memories of my materials engineering class in college, and got on a roll)

A fair point, and a cover is a good idea.

The term "Factor of Safety" generally describes how many multiples of the "rated" load something is materially capable of handling (for example, a bridge rated 10 tons is likely built to handle 25-30 tons, because it has to be able to handle that 10 tons over the entire course of its life in service (which for highway bridges, could be decades, while the whole time the materials it's made from are aging from UV, vibration (vehicles/pedestrians crossing it), temperature cycles, and chemicals (winter deicer, acid rain, etc.).

In this case, let's say your Jeep weighs 4500lbs (a nice, round number). 3/8 steel is rated 14,400lbs breaking, so the factor of safety for steel is 3.2 in this case - the line can support 3.2 of your Jeep as a single load before breaking. 3/8 Synthetic rated for 17,600lbs gives a factor of safety of 3.911, so it can handle almost 4 of your Jeep, so the 3/8 synthetic has a higher "factor of safety" in this scenario.

As to your thinking on breaking behavior, stretch a rubber band until it snaps - stings when it whips back at where you're holding it and whacks you, doesn't it? This is what steel line is capable of when stretched to breaking. Synthetic is more like cotton sewing thread - pull on it until it breaks, and it pretty much just falls down.

Steel has a significant "plastic deformation" range - within that range you can deform/stress (stretch, in this case) it and when the load is removed it'll spring back like that rubber band. Exceed that range, and you break the line (snapping the rubber band). Steel is a very strong material and it has a sizeable plastic deformation range (it's what makes it such a strong/resilient structural material); exceed it and the material fails. When it does, the failure (snap) only relieves the stretch/tension at the exact point of failure - the rest of the line is still intact and has all that stretch energy in it, and it has to go somewhere. That's why when a steel line snaps it's like that rubber band - when the material parts at the failure point, the two now-loose ends recoil with devastating force. That force, multiplied by the mass of the cable (and steel cables are HEAVY), adds up to a LOT of momentum and it will do damage.

The Synthetics, on the other hand, have a higher failure strength but (assuming here) a very narrow "plastic deformation" band, so they can't really store up any energy, just like that cotton sewing thread (which, if you try the exercise I described above, shows little to no stretch before snapping). That's why the ends of a snapped synthetic line don't go hurtling back at you - there's no significant stretch to release once the line lets go, and the only significant force acting on it at that point is gravity. Besides, with a MUCH lower mass, even if the snythetic does recoil slightly, it'll do a LOT less damage.

(apologies for the long reply - I got started, unconsiously tapped memories of my materials engineering class in college, and got on a roll)
Lol yes all of this is in my thought process. Engineering school ruined me.... What I was meaning in my previous post was most cables are rated at half of actual load capacity ( when lifting) .... I wonder if synthetic is rated at maybe .75 capacity due to danger being much less dangerous due to less stretch.

Ah, ok. I have no idea on that, sounds like the sort of question to ask the manufacturers directly.

That's the plan.
With that being said I've know loads of ppl who have broken synthetic lines... I don't know 1 person who has broken a steel line...

Good day at the junk yards. I hit 5 of them today. I was able to get new window shades that actually retract for the Commander. New windshield washer nozzles for the Commander. Got a new axle shaft for the XJ. Mostly got some fresh air in one of my favorite settings.

This weekend I'll start working on getting the XJ ready for the Shamrock Shakedown next weekend.

So random (stupid) question.... Has anyone ghettofabbed a small diameter sway bar up front on the xj to help off-road? Something like a cheap antirock... Never heard of it being done...

Maybe I'm not understanding your thought process, but most people remove or disconnect their sway bar to help off road with more articulation.

I looked at their website and it looks like maybe Antirock is an articulating sway bar? I don't quite get their set up.

Maybe I'm not understanding your thought process, but most people remove or disconnect their sway bar to help off road with more articulation.

I looked at their website and it looks like maybe Antirock is an articulating sway bar? I don't quite get their set up.
It's to help have equal ish flex front and rear. My front goes to full flex before my rear really starts doing much. And that seems to be somewhat normal for an xj. So slightly control the front to force the rear to act right.

Back