• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear disc brake swap: parking brake force multiplier?

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
Long ago, I converted my 8.25 on my 2001 XJ to disc brakes (KJ donor). The parking brake has been terrible ever since due to the relatively weak leverage provided by the stock XJ brake handle.

Recently I saw a kit that effectively increased the throw of the parking brake actuator on the backing plates themselves. I'm fairly certain I saw it in the context of an 8.8 swap discussion, and it may have required swapping the backing plates from one side to the other.

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

That's a neat idea... I'd love to see the install and get some reactions. I did a rear disc swap on my '01 XJ ~ 1 year back and never even hooked up the emergency brake due to the cable length issues. I never bought the appropriate parts and haven't really missed it. I would like to 'fix' it but just haven't had time to do this yet.

When changing to the ZJ rear discs, I cut the XJ's parking brake arms off and did the same to the ZJ's arms Then the removed XJ arms were welded to the ZJ's parking brake arms.
Extra metal could be added to increase the length of the arms and leverage.

Next the box, where the cables from the brakes and brake lever meet and are adjusted, was moved rearward as far as possible, until the cable from the.
These two mods allows using the stock XJ's cables, when lifted (It has been as high as 5"). Been this way for a 100,000 miles or so.

Overall

That's a neat idea... I'd love to see the install and get some reactions. I did a rear disc swap on my '01 XJ ~ 1 year back and never even hooked up the emergency brake due to the cable length issues. I never bought the appropriate parts and haven't really missed it. I would like to 'fix' it but just haven't had time to do this yet.

If i dont care about hooking up the e-brake, can i just buy backing plates and new calipers and rotors and do the swap?

Yes, I just did this but you can get the cables that fit from M.O.R.E. !
P1080476_zpsqxsz0amm.jpg

Ive got them on mine but I'm waiting on correct cables as the ones I've had are either too long or too short.

I can say the wizard brackets are amazingly well built pieces. They give you a ton of additional leverage. I can pull a parking brake arm by hand with them on.

I'll share more once I get the cables hooked up

Not sure how different they are but I haven't had any problems with my ZJ swap.

Back