• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

blinker, hazard, marker light issues

RANSOM

NAXJA Forum User
2000 xj, 4.0, 4x4...

All fuzes and bulbs are fine.

Here's my issue... My left front and rear marker lights (including tag lights)are out. The bulbs are new. In addition, when I turn my LEFT turn signal on BOTH REAR lights flash, BUT only the LEFT FRONT flashes ...NOT the RIGHT FRONT.... Its an intermittent problem, but it does it more times than not.

ALSO... when I turn my hazzard switch on.. somtimes it functions normal. Other times not at all OR it just flashes the LEFT.

What's the deal? Could it be the multifunction turn/hazard switch?

I'm not at all familiar with the 2000 models, or much the solid state blinker systems.
Whenever the wrong bilb lights, I usually go imediatly to the bulb socket grounds. It is common for a bad ground in one blub to cause the system to find odd grund paths (often through another bulb) farther down the system.
I imagine this could also affect the solid state components some, they are likely designed for a certain amp load and when it isn't present odd things happen. Not Jeep specific knowledge, but I've seen it before in other manufactures vehicles.

I've seen weird stuff like that before as well... I had '79 f-250 that had and 1157 bulb in the tail light with the two filaments touching. When I hit the brakes the interior lights would go on! And when I turned on the left blinker the interior lights would flash! hahahah!... Gotta love a "hoopy!"

I checked all the bulb, grounds, and the checked out fine. I figured it would be the multifunction switch because of the hazard switch working intermittently. I have to throw the switch back and forth a couple of times to get it to work...

I have a VERY similair problem with my '99. Espicially when tryin to use the hazard switch.

I have a VERY similair problem with my '99. Espicially when tryin to use the hazard switch.

If I try and turn on the hazzards on on my '99 they don't work. Both turn signals also stop working until I turn off the hazzards and turn off the car. When I restart everything is fine.

Here's my issue... My left front and rear marker lights (including tag lights)are out. The bulbs are new. In addition, when I turn my LEFT turn signal on BOTH REAR lights flash, BUT only the LEFT FRONT flashes ...NOT the RIGHT FRONT.... Its an intermittent problem, but it does it more times than not.

Turn signal switch is bad......very common on the 97+'s. I can't tell you how much the switch was to replace or how hard, as mine was covered under warranty when I bought the Jeep...but I can't imagine it being that bad or hard.

If I try and turn on the hazzards on on my '99 they don't work. Both turn signals also stop working until I turn off the hazzards and turn off the car. When I restart everything is fine.
my 2000 does the same thing...has for years now. outside of changing fuses for the hell of it and replacing the combination flasher, I got nothing...still have the problem.

just read above post. I will have to look into how hard that is to switch out.

I just fixed a similar electrical problem with my 96.
My front parking lights did not work, but the signals and flashers did OK.
The problem was with the large connector on the wire harness feeding all the front lights, located under the air filter box.
It was massively corroded.
The 12v line for the parking lights had broken off the pin, and fell out of the connector.
To fix it, I cleaned out the green junk from the remaining good pins, and soldered in a jumper around the connector for the 12v line.
Works OkeeDokee now.

I replaced the turn signal/ hazard relay (lists for 39$) first and it didn't fix it. Chrysler replaces and average of 64 per week, nationally.

Then I bought a new combo switch from chrysler (retails for $62.50) and that solved it. It turns out that Chrysler replaces 152 units on average per week, nationally. Definately common problem in '97+.

Same problem. Took the switch apart and found the contact grease was dried up. Cleaned the switch and spent 3 times the amount of time getting the switch back together.

Same problem. Took the switch apart and found the contact grease was dried up. Cleaned the switch and spent 3 times the amount of time getting the switch back together.

Yeah. Mine was the same. I found out after the fact of buying the new one. It was a pain to get back together so I trashed it.

Back