• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Land Rover Giverny Green (Pics)

urban yan

NAXJA Forum User
Aug07-front-01-SML_zpsa07505e9.jpg

Aug07-side-02-SML_zps1d427e7f.jpg

Aug07-rear-01-SML_zps7656e125.jpg

and this is how they made the sausage...
July26-prep01_zps23e3a70d.jpg

July26-prep04_zps105bfbe5.jpg

July26-prep02_zpsef23fda9.jpg

July26-prep05_zps2fd89e7e.jpg

Thanks man. I'm still waiting for the replacement emblems to arrive. The Jeep and Cherokee emblems are graphite while the Classic emblems are silver, so I will have to look into getting them color-matched.
oh, and tomorrow I'm applying some 3M Scotchgard protective film on the inside part of my front bumper... the part facing the tire since that part's most susceptible to damage.

Last edited:
How much did the paint job cost you? it came out great!

I don't want to get specific, but it was around 2ish. It was more than what I wanted to spend, but the Jeep needed allot of work. The door bottoms started to rust up quite a bit, the rear bumper was rusted, paint on the hood started to blister, the spoiler needed to be reinstalled, etc, etc.... Basically, I had a choice of letting my Jeep fall apart, or fix it while I still had time.

I could-have paid less if I stuck with the same color, but I absolutely despised the factory Forest Green. It showed every bit of dirt, and it looked like garbage under the bright sun. This color just glows all day long, and it should disguise dirt quite nicely since it's considerably lighter.

$2k for custom paint, especially where you are located, is a screaming deal.

I'm debating what to do with mine next... doors and roof are going again. Fix or winter beater ro save a different vehicle (likely a UZJ100) from winter usage.

Btw, looks great.

I'm debating what to do with mine next... doors and roof are going again. Fix or winter beater ro save a different vehicle (likely a UZJ100) from winter usage.

I had the same debate run through my mind before I committed to the paintjob; however, the alternatives on my list sucked in their own special way. Either the upfront costs were too high, or the maintenance, or both.

Not only that, but I sunk a fair amount of money into my Jeep over the years. This year alone, I did my brakes, catback and bought new firestone LE2 tires. I couldn't walk away from that, and I wouldn't be able to resell my Jeep for a fair amount in its current (exterior) shape. I'm not the kind of person to let things slide either, so the as-is/winter-beater scenario didn't play well in my mind.... plus I don't drive enough or have the space to warrant 2 vehicles.

I think, in the end, the final bit that convinced me to spend the money was the rarity of owning a Cherokee (especially a clean one). Check trader.ca; there aren't too many XJs for sale. My Cherokee's more rare than BMWs in my town, and we don't have BMW dealership here.... not for 300kms. I like having something that stands out from the rest.

Choice! Did they just tape off the window rubbers?
He taped it off although the windshield trim looked to be peeled back some because the new paint goes well under it. BTW, all the door seals were removed before paint. I think the guy did a great job. He has 20 years experience as a bodyman, and he used to manage a local bodyshop for a while (although, he's mainly a mechanic now).

Yeah, I'm totally upside down on mine as well. I put a couple grand into it before our big road trip, lot of deferred maintenance that needed doing and new stainless exhaust, etc.

I really enjoy the machine when it is not pissing me off. I do enjoy that it is "rare" now as well. With the 32s, armour and snorkel it sure gets lots of looks.

Not sure what I'm going to do. After all the towing and convincing myself I needed a bigger, more powerful machine the last three weeks I am back to just enjoying it for what it is since I'm not towing a "house" behind it any more.

I figure with the gear on my Jeep (air lockers, built axles, etc., etc.) it is worth ~$8k but to try to get that in the open market is almost impossible. I'd have to "give it away" for a lot less if I really needed to sell it. I don't even want to think about what I've paid over the years to get it to where it is now.

Maybe I'll just keep polishing. As long as I keep from towing in the mountains it works fine.

Btw, did you do anything special when you cut the holes for the hood vents? Drainage pans?

I have had a set of those vents lying around for a few years... Should install them to get rid of some more clutter.

It's a tough call to be sure; in my case, my door bottoms/lips were beyond my expertise to repair. I tried to fix them before with a good sanding/ generous application of chassis saver(rust encapsulator), but that didn't last for long. They needed to be sandblasted of every speck of rust. Also, in my case, the bill to repair my doors and rear hatch came out to about 1k. At that point, it just made more sense to bite the bullet and go all in on a complete paintjob.

I'm unsure of the particular problem spots on your Jeep, but if it's door related than I suggest you find a sandblaster and try to, at least, paint them yourself before the problem spreads to the outside.

At the end of the day; however, it depends how much you like your Jeep, and the value you get from using it.

Btw, did you do anything special when you cut the holes for the hood vents? Drainage pans?

I have had a set of those vents lying around for a few years... Should install them to get rid of some more clutter.

My vents came with the drip pans, so they sandwich the hood between them and the vents. You probably know about these links but I'll post them anyways:
http://www.oman4x4.com/hoodventinstall.htm
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoBonnetVents.htm

It looks like i have my work cut out for me. The chrome Cherokee emblem is a fake; the real ones come with an outrageous price tag, so I picked up some
2014 Cherokee emblems instead. Those suckers aren’t very high and they’re super long; I don’t think they pair well with the classic emblems even if I were
to get them color-matched. More so, the newer Jeep emblems are much thicker than the old ones; I don’t know how they’ll wrap the front header panel.

emblems_zpsd50064c2.jpg

Consider doing something different in vinyl?

I have, but I already paid for these, so I want to make them work. Either, I will just use the Cherokee emblems on the doors without the Classic emblems, or get the Classic emblem color-matched and centered vertically with the new Cherokee (opposed to lining them up with the bottom of the Cherokee emblem). I will also ask the body-man if there's a trick to attaching the Jeep emblems on a curved surface.

I spent about 5 months in 2013 chasing after rust...new floors and rockers. Did as much myself as I could and got help from the body shop as needed. It ain't pretty but I like to think I preserved and restored a lot of functional integrity. It really is true that when you start spending money you have to keep going.

Had an idea the other day... using the Cherokee font make logos in vinyl that say "URBAN" and place them in the normal Cherokee location. Keep the same size to keep it subtle.

Yeah, I'll go back to drinking my Czechvar now.

I spent about 5 months in 2013 chasing after rust...new floors and rockers. Did as much myself as I could and got help from the body shop as needed. It ain't pretty but I like to think I preserved and restored a lot of functional integrity. It really is true that when you start spending money you have to keep going.

I have rust creeping back on my floor boards/frame (that chassis saver product wasn't all that good).

I picked up a wire wheel to clean it up as best as I can. Then, I'll spray it with some eastwood rust convertor followed by their rust encapsulator, perhaps a coat of some cheap local rubberized undercoating, and finally, I'm going to get it oil sprayed. I've neglected oil sprays for years; I really need to do that annually from now on. I'm tired of fighting rust.

Had an idea the other day... using the Cherokee font make logos in vinyl that say "URBAN" and place them in the normal Cherokee location. Keep the same size to keep it subtle.

I hear what you're saying, but I'm just not narcissistic enough to put my name on my jeep.... plus I already bought these emblems. I going to try to use them as best as I can

Back