• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Projext "V8 XJ" Build

For the record I migh end up returning it (all purchased on Amazon)

I think that is better solution. I ended up with painting all the exhaust with heat resistant black spray and it works great.

LS1 intake 01 is 100% already the LS6 style. I know it because I have corvette (non Z06) 01 with this intake from factory :D

LS6 on the left, LS1 right...
0409phr_gmpp_07_z.jpg

I think that is better solution. I ended up with painting all the exhaust with heat resistant black spray and it works great.

LS1 intake 01 is 100% already the LS6 style. I know it because I have corvette (non Z06) 01 with this intake from factory :D

LS6 on the left, LS1 right...
0409phr_gmpp_07_z.jpg

I'm in the desert so it's not like we get much rain to warrant buying stainless

I kind of wish I went with mild steel...for some reason my dumb ass decided to go with 304 stainless.

(Not knowing is need a different type of welding gas)

I was kind of wondering why on earth you were trying to learn on stainless.

I'm in the desert so it's not like we get much rain to warrant buying stainless

I live in the humid Southeast. I don't have much of a problem with exhaust rusting out, to be honest. I just use aluminized steel from the parts store. Sure, it's not a mandrel bend, but it works.

Because stainless = more expensive
More expensive = better

Im probably going to keep the stainless collector and the muffler.

Stainless is also harder to learn to weld on, and honestly it's not like you're building a space shuttle here.

Stainless is also harder to learn to weld on, and honestly it's not like you're building a space shuttle here.

That's what I've been reading. Just need to get with Amazon to return. I'll probably do it this weekend.

Found a deal for a LS6 intake manifold for $320 :yelclap:

I'm going to switch out the aluminum manifold. The LS6 manifold is going to allow my throttle body to be mounted a little further back which is going to be very helpful (i need the room)

So I re-ordered all of the exhaust tubing in mild steel. I kept the stainless collector, muffler, and v-band clamps.
Uh06M8h.jpg

I added a heat shield to the fuel line coming up near the firewall. I also flipped the fuel rail which allows me to run the fuel line up the back of the firewall over the transmission. It also gives a little more room between it and the exhaust.
TNbuy10.jpg

Replaced the LS6 IM gaskets
rjywDXP.jpg

Ready to go:
GbFsqcE.jpg

Installed. I'm just going to use the stock fuel rail and LS6 injectors. It will run, but i'll need to send the ECU back in for tuning. I also need to order some injector wiring adapters.
hvbl977.jpg

Where did you source the v-band clamps? I'm looking into converting my setup to them as well when I build my next exhaust (which has become a much higher priority now that I found I have half a muffler in my XJ).

I am rehabbing my old 90, and I want to get away from the band clamps and 3-hole flanges I used there. One thing I should point out in case you haven't come across this- when welding the clamps (any clamp but apparently the v-bands especially like to walk on you), have them mated up when you are welding. Of course, vary your welding as well- weld a little here, then a little on the other side, then let it cool. Come back and connect the dots till she's sealed up.

This will give you the best shot at maintaining a sealed flange when you final assemble everything. If you just weld the v-band halves onto the pipes and then try to joint them up you will quite likely find they have deformed to the extent they no longer will seal. There's also something called a Marmon flange .. which I just happily found on Amazon!

https://www.amazon.com/42315-L-2-5-...1512596421&sr=1-1&keywords=2.5"+marmon+flange

I haven't used these yet, but they are supposed to be MUCH more forgiving with welding, and they actually seal on a fiber gasket as opposed to a machined surface. I wouldn't buy them there, though. $24 shipping, and it isn't even a complete assembly. I'll try to find a much better source I saw a few months ago...

Welder is all setup. Fab coming soon.

I've also run into a small road block. Got the intake all installed and got the correct injector adapters installed.

The Jeep wont start now. I hadn't started it in a while but it did run and they only thing that changed was the intake. Unfortunately the computer isnt spitting out any codes either.

Could the mismatched injectors in the tune cause it not to start?

I’m also thinking of starting this swap process with a new shell. I’d like to use a <‘93, with manual windows and locks. Using an older Jeep would allow me to register it as a classic and not worry about SMOG. My Jeep also has a registration restriction under my name. (Long story is that I canceled insurance and never turned in the plates so according to the dmv I was driving without insurance. $1200 fine and need to carry special insurance.). I can get around this by registering under a different name or getting a new Jeep.

Last edited:
im guessing just a fuel issue.

tough call on the new jeep thing. im thinking of selling mine so i can buy a house and then building an lq4 MJ or a c10,

(jetta still commandeered by my mom, and i bought a 14' scion tc for my commute to work)

im guessing just a fuel issue.

tough call on the new jeep thing. im thinking of selling mine so i can buy a house and then building an lq4 MJ or a c10,

(jetta still commandeered by my mom, and i bought a 14' scion tc for my commute to work)

Yea I'm going to pull the fuel rail to see if the injectors are actually spraying.

The new Jeep thing will just simplify this swap a lot. I'd build an aftermarket cluster which will also be really helpful.

Yea I'm going to pull the fuel rail to see if the injectors are actually spraying.

The new Jeep thing will just simplify this swap a lot. I'd build an aftermarket cluster which will also be really helpful.

factory 96 and down gauges are pretty easy to re use in a swap, no computer needed so its just a matter of plumbing the jeep sensors into the v8

Back