• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight/Running Light question

yeah it looks like a crappy install.

i'd just find a factory headlight wire and splice into it for signal.

or just leave it alone. seriously, how often do you want to run the running lights without the headlights? it wont really matter.

yeah it looks like a crappy install.

i'd just find a factory headlight wire and splice into it for signal.

or just leave it alone. seriously, how often do you want to run the running lights without the headlights? it wont really matter.

Well, I like driving with all the dash lights on. It's an OCD thing, I guess! I just like everything working as normally as possible. I can't picture why that wire is even there, considering how there is a wire from the harness that goes to the battery. I appreciate the help, man. I'll try to figure it out!

I don't know about CA, but I remember when I learned to drive many moons ago, it was actually illegal to drive with just the parking lights on anyway. I doubt it's ever enforced but you do live in CA, so...

I can't picture why that wire is even there, considering how there is a wire from the harness that goes to the battery. I appreciate the help, man. I'll try to figure it out!

They wire that goes to the battery actually provides power to the lights.

The one going to your marker light just tells them to turn on and off. The extra wiring is there because those lights use more power than the factory ones, so they needed bigger wires.

Take that signal wire off, move it to the original headlight wires, and you should be good.

They wire that goes to the battery actually provides power to the lights.

The one going to your marker light just tells them to turn on and off. The extra wiring is there because those lights use more power than the factory ones, so they needed bigger wires.

Take that signal wire off, move it to the original headlight wires, and you should be good.

Took the headlights out to see what was going on in the back. I don't know hwere to splice that new wire. I would pay somebody $150 to just do it for me at this point. They are h4 housings but the extra bulb confuses me and I'm sure that h4 harness wouldn't work now.

IMG_0869.jpg
IMG_0871.jpg
IMG_0873.jpg

Saturday is the Naxja SoCal christmas party in long beach.

If you come down, I'll help you fix this real fast.

Man, I'll be out wheeling this weekend! Can't believe this is stressing me out so much. I was really hoping to be able to put in a new harness for safety purposes.

Last edited:

The connector on top, with 3 wires coming out of it headed back to the engine compartment, is that a place I can splice into? There is green, black, and white.

Yes, i'm just not 100% which wire. Should be able to determine that with a volt meter or test light.

Find the one that comes on when you turn the headlights on.

There is a ground, a low beam wire, and a high beam wire.

You probably want the low beam wire.

If your headlight kit is low and high beams, you may have to splice in two.

Back