• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Np231 no oil pump

ljobbins

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I got ahold of a used np231 that looked like it has never been opened. When I opened it up for an sye install there was no oil pump. Did any years come without an oil pump or did the previous owner remove it? Do I need to go find a junkyard one or buy a new one or is anybody running without a pump?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well you can't run without the pump!

That strikes me as a pretty odd piece to be missing from a tcase.

Have you checked the internals against a known correct parts diagram/manual to confirm you're seeing this correctly? (no insult intended, sometimes it's good to make sure you haven't missed one of the "is it plugged in?" type answers)

Just a nice hole. No pump or tube or indication of anything. The areas that the pump sits in were completely filled with rtv. All the fluid looked clean and nice. The gears and chain everything are clean and no abnormal wear. The magnet didn’t have anything out of the ordinary.

fb7063ee4714e0e8b9d970849cba86b5.jpg

93639790784294e851197f8599c90164.jpg

On another note, I am having a hard time finding the tube for the pump. A lot of people make or sell replacement pumps for the np231 but I am struggling to find a tube or a pump/tube combo. I can go ask the transmission shops around me but it just seems weird that the tube isn’t super to find. Or maybe I just suck at google.

Hm. What about reaching out to NP/NV, or maybe a Jeep dealer? They're still putting these cases in new vehicles...

NP231 are not made of unobtanium, I would stop by the junkyard and grab a good used one. The local U-Pull-It charges $99 for a t-case. If you have no idea how long it was run with no oil pump, it is suspect anyways, and I would definitely replace it.

Assuming your trying to save time, but why not use your TC since you know more about it. Do you even know if it fits your XJ?

Back