• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New oil pump, no oil pressure!

halmca

NAXJA Forum User
'98 4.0 L New oil pump, no oil pressure. I didn't prime the pump.

Fortunately, I have the whole front end stuff -- steering, axle, everything, out from under the XJ, so taking the oil pan back down is not a huge deal. Nothing's in the way.

However, if there's an easier way to wake the pump up, I'd sure prefer to follow that course.

Ideas?

I haven't done this on a Jeep but on a Ford, you simply need to remove the distributor and use a socket connected to a drill to spin the pump until oil starts to flow.

Are you sure there's no oil pressure?
Did the engine make a lot of noise?
Does the gauge work?
Is the distributor installed properly?
Why did you change the oil pump in the first place?

There is a slot at the bottom of the distributor well, I've used a 5/16 steel rod and hammered one end to look like a screwdriver blade then used a drill. I learned, the next pump I packed with Vasaline and it pumps the oil up fast. Or you can use a socket extension with a large screwdriver socket on the end, a tiny drop of superglue will keep it on there.
I guess it depends on the pump clearance whether it will pump with just the starter or not. Pack it with vaseline and it will prime quickly every time.

Everyday for the first start of the day on my stroker motor I just push the oiler switch and run it up to 30psi before starting the motor !!!

make sure the sending unit wire is connected. then prime the pump with the above methods.

I removed the oil pump and "primed" it with ordinary chassis grease. Then because I had run the engine longer than I thought wise with no oil pressure, I decided to do the remove-the-distributor as well just to make sure that it oiled up. Got all done, and the engine would not start. (but showed great oil pressure.) I thought of the many folk who screw the timing up by not setting the timing up correctly.

Then I remembered: you've got to plug the coil back in.

Alls well that ends well. Thanks for the several suggestions. Jeep runs great with new rear main seal and oil pump.

I removed the oil pump and "primed" it with ordinary chassis grease.

You had better cross your fingers that you don't get a blockage/restriction from that!

I understand your problem. I also had some problems that I used poor-quality oil. This fact told me, my mechanic when I went to service. It was a very expensive repair. I never wish to someone such a bad experience. My advice for all of you will be to use only high-quality oil. I started to use the oil from www.cararac.com/. It was recommended by a lot of friends and also my mechanic. No one of them had any issues with this brand. I've read on some forums that they are one of the best on the local market.td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}

I understand your problem. I also had some problems that I used poor-quality oil. This fact told me, my mechanic when I went to service. It was a very expensive repair. I never wish to someone such a bad experience. My advice for all of you will be to use only high-quality oil. I started to use the oil from www.cararac.com/. It was recommended by a lot of friends and also my mechanic. No one of them had any issues with this brand. I've read on some forums that they are one of the best on the local market.

You'll pardon me if I take your first-post endorsement with a grain of salt. Or that cararac doesn't actually seem to sell anything on their website and it's full of ads and click bait.

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/amelia-hornsby-972a5b45
" Marketing Manager at Sustainable Advantage Hersham, Surrey, United Kingdom"

This is awesome, a bot (AriMiana) conversing with another bot (AmeliaHornsby) :)

Back