• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Short arms, vs. long arms, vs. RE drop drackets

Toyman

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 XJ and I'm looking at going with a bigger lift, up to about 6.5" total consisting of 5.5" RE springs and a 1" spacer up front. I'll be running 34" LTB's for off road, 32 A/T's on highway. As the topic indicated, these seem to be the different routes to go for control arms.

I have thought about the drop bracket kit form RE, but $315US for brackets with support braces, I don't know. They improve the wheel travel from what I hear, but will they be worth it?

I like the long arm idea for added travel, but don't want the long arms to catch and get hung up on shit or bash 'em of rocks and bend them. I like the Rock Krawler set up and Clayton's Offroad, but big $$, especially for Clayton's. Nice stuff though.

Any one on here have the RE 5.5" short arm kit that comes with the drop brackets? Interested to know on this as I have the arms for the 5.5" kit, but no drop brackets

I have also thought about making the fixed arms extended by welding in some Grade 10 bolts and a jam nut, but heard the on-road ride from the short arm set up is shit compared to long arm. This would be the cheapest route, but would like to hear what other people think.

My rear lift will consist of 4.5 - 5" leaf spring with the revolver shackles (1.75" lift) for added flex. This is going to be a daily driver with A/T's for the street.

Thoughts and experience on the above questions are welcome.

Last edited:
I'm at 5.5" with short arms and drop brackets. Something to think about is, since I'm wholy Johnny Jointed, my extended travel causes my upper control arms to hit my drive shaft at certain angles and really nail it.

I love the ride and clearance, but this is an issue.

go long arms, I Just got drop brackets and support braces 2 months ago and I already plan to sell them as soon as my RK-LA upgrade comes in....

What kind and how much wheeling do you do? Budget? Those will play a big role in which direction you should go.

The short answer is: SEARCH

This has been discussed alot at great length. After searching, the best answer is to decide what is best for your application yourself based on your research.

Good luck.

5.5" short arms with raised axle end mounts 2"

i refuse to go long arm unless i go three link mid arm...

it rides like a lifted jeep...

Toyman said:
...hung up on shit...

...short arm set up is shit...

feel like a bigger man when you use words like that?

Toyman said:
Any one on here have the RE 5.5" short arm kit that comes with the drop brackets?

I originally went with the entire RE 5.5XD kit... Adjustable arms, DB's, the whole nine yards... And while the ride was decent, It wasn't exactly what I wanted. The ride was still harsh, the DB's fit like crap, and I was completely unimpressed...

Being that the XJ is my daily driver, I need a ride that was smooth, and tons of travel... So I installed a TnTCustoms Y-Link long arm kit... The ride is amazing - to say the least...

I have literally rested the entire XJ on the belly pan, and now I have no concerns when atemping dropoffs, or other obstacles where my DB's would have hung up...

Toyman said:
I like the long arm idea for added travel, but don't want the long arms to catch and get hung up on shit or bash 'em of rocks and bend them.

Then you should seriously take a look at what TnTcustoms has to offer with there long arm kit... Bent arms, and they are hella stout - I know I've beat the crap outta mine...

The initial cost of the Y-Link did seem like a lot at first. Then I looked at it this way: I wanted to install a kit that would offer the best ride, great suspension travel, and I did not want to have to worry about damaging it. Long arms were the only way to go, and while there were less expensive systems out there the TnTCustoms kit seemed to offer everything I was looking for...

Just my $.03.... Hope it helps...

-Will

If you do the math a set of drop brackets and upper/lower control arms will cost you just as much as a high end long arm kit ($700-$900) The Rock Krawler long arms can be had for about $400-$500. I'm not trying to sway you in any direction just stating fact. Big difference is with long arms you are going to need fab skills or paid to get it done. Drop brackets can be done on a street corner with basic tools. The TnT kit is bolt on where Claytons and RK is weld on. Good thing is with the weld on you are only talking about welding on a couple parts and the rest you can just do at home. I know a few people who have done this to see if they like a long arm set up before going permanant.

Just food for thought.

-b

there is very little chance you will hurt anything in the Clayton kit. his shop is local to me and practically everyone around here has his stuff. "IF" you damage anything he will replace it. the cross-member does hang down but its built real solid and you wont break it getting "hung up on shit"

GirlScout1 said:
If you do the math a set of drop brackets and upper/lower control arms will cost you just as much as a high end long arm kit ($700-$900)

This comparison is irrelevant if you don't want/need Long Arms. I could have purchased two RE 5.5" HD lifts for what it cost me to piece my suspension together. Instead, I bought the parts I wanted, cost wasn't a big concern.

Toyman said:
No. I'm just telling it like it is.

is that how it is then?

not, "getting hung up" and "ride less than satisfactory"

ok.

i wouldnt bother adding the spacer to the 5.5", it will be plenty. i have drop brackets and braces and couldnt be happier with em.

I think I've decided to go with the RK long arm kit. Can get it for about $400, as opposed to $899.95 for the TnT Customs set up, as per their website. It's all about the budget for me right now. I have a buddy who had the RK long arms, they worked awesome. I think its the most economical and functional way to go, considering I can still sell my RE arms for an bit of dough.

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments!

Back