• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intermittent No Start

Tommy4949

NAXJA Forum User
My rig began not starting about 3 weeks ago. I turn it to "start" and it does nothing. I tapped the solenoid a couple times and it started right up. About a week later, it did it again. Now I have to do it 2 out of 3 times I drive it and I have to tap on it more. Is this just the solenoid or the starter too? Do I have to take the starter out to change the solenoid? How do I change the solenoid, any special tools or procedures?

assuming the Jeep in question is the one in your profile (1990) and assuming it's a 4.0l, the solenoid is available separately, but at almost half the price of a starter with a solenoid, I'd say change them both and be done with it.

Oh, and yes, you will need to remove the starter to change the solenoid any way.

Shorty said:
assuming the Jeep in question is the one in your profile (1990) and assuming it's a 4.0l, the solenoid is available separately, but at almost half the price of a starter with a solenoid, I'd say change them both and be done with it.

Oh, and yes, you will need to remove the starter to change the solenoid any way.

It's actually a 91 HO 4.0L motor. You are right about the price, for some reason, I thought the starter was ove $100...

OK, I just noticed that the starters at the parts store are for 1987 to 1998 Cherokees. Can I use the one in my 1988 Renix 4.0L for my 1991 HO 4.0L? I have to do this first thing in the morning, so I really need to know tonight. Thanks!!!

Tommy4949 said:
OK, I just noticed that the starters at the parts store are for 1987 to 1998 Cherokees. Can I use the one in my 1988 Renix 4.0L for my 1991 HO 4.0L? I have to do this first thing in the morning, so I really need to know tonight. Thanks!!!

yup!!

Back