• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trailer lights work fine as long as lights are not on.

northernlightsfive

NAXJA Forum User
Got an interesting problem (couldn't find anything when I searched). I installed a Hoppy trailer wiring kit on my 99 (ordered the wiring from advanced auto). I installed the kit with no problem, the blinkers and the brake lights work on the trailer, but as soon as I turn the head lights on, none of the lights work on the trailer (all work fine on the cherokee). When I turn the head lights off, everything works correctly. I have even bought a new wiring harness for the trailer and no luck. I have also tried grounding the trailer frame directly to the body of the cherokee and still the same symptons. The trailer is from Harbor Freight and the lights in the back have two brown and one yellow/green (depending on side) down each side. The instructions say to connect the two brown to the one brown of the wiring kit and the yellow/green to yellow/green wire. I have even made sure there is a good fuse in the tow package spot (not sure if that would help or not). Has anyone ever had the same problem before?

Back