• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lockers! what ya running and why?

Definitely love my grizzly but maybe these shafts don't.
29c8442cb46a81b0e8bfad275ba5792d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
LMK what you do for replacement inners. I'd like to do the right axles first time around.

Were the fronts turned quite a bit?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

^^^

It’s definitely interesting seeing the range of experiences with TTs. I’ve had friends tell me “my rear locker is disconnected” and I’ve given it gas over and over watching my front driver not spin. I’ve used the brakes, that doesn’t work sometimes. They just seem to be really overpowered by my 35s in deep snow and some rocky situations I’ve been in. The wheels are planted, they just don’t turn sometimes. Maybe mine are broke. Lol.
Do your tires spin same direction with both tires off the ground?

I'll be going cheap on shafts. Also thought about gussetting ears. Don't think I was turning much it popped i thought maybe it was the grizzly doing its thing.

Im in search of oem shafts. Spicer 760 joints

^^^

It’s definitely interesting seeing the range of experiences with TTs. I’ve had friends tell me “my rear locker is disconnected” and I’ve given it gas over and over watching my front driver not spin. I’ve used the brakes, that doesn’t work sometimes. They just seem to be really overpowered by my 35s in deep snow and some rocky situations I’ve been in. The wheels are planted, they just don’t turn sometimes. Maybe mine are broke. Lol.

It’s probably broken then. They are gear driven so I don’t see how it would work when there is nothing to slip. If it was clutch driven then I could see that happening.

How it wouldn’t work if there is nothing to slip.

On my true trac one tire spins slower then the other but they both spin.

I’m doing Yukon Grizzly lockers front and rear. Also 1 ton axles so I don’t have to worry about carrying spares.

I can steer semi well with 33s only tim I can't is on rock in high traction. If im not the first rig through a tuff obstacle im paying close attention to how they are doing and planning my steering ahead of time.

But yes you definitely know a full locker is there my grizz myswell be a spool. Works very well.

So far I haven't found a situation that isn't livable with the grizzly im not someone to mess with a selectable and a limited slip just seems problematic, am willing to live with the cons of a auto locker to reap the strength and simple it just works appeal

I can steer semi well with 33s only tim I can't is on rock in high traction. If im not the first rig through a tuff obstacle im paying close attention to how they are doing and planning my steering ahead of time.

But yes you definitely know a full locker is there my grizz myswell be a spool. Works very well.

So far I haven't found a situation that isn't livable with the grizzly im not someone to mess with a selectable and a limited slip just seems problematic, am willing to live with the cons of a auto locker to reap the strength and simple it just works appeal

Exactly how I feel about a locked front end. Are there downsides? Sure

100% willing to accept them. When the front hooks up and pulls me onto an obstacle, capability far outweighs any negatives.

Exactly how I feel about a locked front end. Are there downsides? Sure

100% willing to accept them. When the front hooks up and pulls me onto an obstacle, capability far outweighs any negatives.

Still pretty green over here, but Im in the same boat. Lunchbox in the front and some skinny pedal does wonders.

But shes seen a good amount of street time lately as the daily has been down and my chinese frame rail is looking haggard. 33s/braced

On the highway I crested a hill into shade where snow was suddenly on the road the hair stood up on the back of my kneck with welded rear I though for sure we were going to die.
Let if the throttle die, touch the breaks die, stay steady speed die.
Lol the welded rear did not on that day send us into a death sprial into the jeep abyss.
Not sure that's on topic for anything. But I'm sure I'd be just as scared with a grizzly in the rear

On the highway I crested a hill into shade where snow was suddenly on the road the hair stood up on the back of my kneck with welded rear I though for sure we were going to die.
Let if the throttle die, touch the breaks die, stay steady speed die.
Lol the welded rear did not on that day send us into a death sprial into the jeep abyss.
Not sure that's on topic for anything. But I'm sure I'd be just as scared with a grizzly in the rear

Makes me wanna weld the rear.

Reminds me of the old adage: common sense goes a long fuxking way.

Lol not sure if that was a jab at me or not but I fall into that 1% that actually uses my rig offroad I make my own decisions i try different things and build my jeep through trial and error.
Welded works well for me has compromises that im willing to live with same as the front

Surprised no one has mentioned manual hubs upfront changing the possibilities. You are going with 44s right? Waggy 44s? If they were rubi 44s you'd have elockers in em stock so likely you have manual locking hubs... and its mainly offroad ya? You can throw anything up there! If so man... grizz, Detroit, spool, hell you could even weld the damn thing! My buddy runs spools front and rear with hydro assist, I've drove it and steering is actually easier then in my rig with Detroit rear lunchbox front with manual hubs. I def intend on adding hydro assist asap to hep that. On the street I never use 4x4 and hubs stay unlocked. In the snow, I don't need 4x4 here in CO. With 35" mts its fine with steering unaffected due to hubs not engaged up front. Its better then my 2 w drive work van thats for sure! If I go heavy throttle ya I can drift, but its better then my rear drive cars on smaller less aggressive tires.

Without manual hubs your steering will be effected even in 2 wheel drive with a full time locker. How bad? It varies. Just because the tcase isn't engaged doesn't mean your front axle is now open though. I know others have posted as such. But with out a selectable locker the wheels are still locked together in the center and so they want to rotate at the same speed. Less so than with the tcase engaging power to the front but still noticeable. Just food for thought

Lol not sure if that was a jab at me or not but I fall into that 1% that actually uses my rig offroad I make my own decisions i try different things and build my jeep through trial and error.
Welded works well for me has compromises that im willing to live with same as the front

Jab? Hell no brother. Enjoying your posts

Back