• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lockers! what ya running and why?

2 low
Offcourse it'll help cause its in 2wd and unlocked.

I do see a Detroit, grizzly being pretty aggressive on the street.

I also think that at some point we gota quit talking and making plans climb in that digger get after it. Talking only goes so far specially when jeepers often don't have experience with what they're giving advice on.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Yea I don't see the point...

Bought a Grizzly for the front

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Shit. That's a bunch of little things that take forever and cost money

LOL!

Yes. Yes it is.

To correctly install a good compressor and run air lines falls in the same category.

Depending on the age of that OX locker you may be able to convert it to solenoid activation and save yourself the challenge of running the cable shifter. That is one of the nice things about OX lockers--you can activate them by cable, air or electric, and have a back-up option of activating them with a special bolt. There is more than one way to skin this particular cat.

found the teraflex kit. for 300, I'll probably move to a 205 instead of dumping money into the 231

I've had mine for over 2yrs and it had paid for itself just in gas savings. I rarely ever put it in 4low on trail and if I do it's for couple of minutes. The steering input is reduced on the trail too. I have a ARB up front and I definitely know when I forget to turn it off!

LOL!

Yes. Yes it is.

To correctly install a good compressor and run air lines falls in the same category.

Depending on the age of that OX locker you may be able to convert it to solenoid activation and save yourself the challenge of running the cable shifter. That is one of the nice things about OX lockers--you can activate them by cable, air or electric, and have a back-up option of activating them with a special bolt. There is more than one way to skin this particular cat.

I saw the solenoid and thought it = complexity, but in this case may be worth the trouble. thanks for sharing the info.

I've had mine for over 2yrs and it had paid for itself just in gas savings. I rarely ever put it in 4low on trail and if I do it's for couple of minutes. The steering input is reduced on the trail too. I have a ARB up front and I definitely know when I forget to turn it off!

If it was about the MPGs, i'd have a Prius. And i'm 90% trail. and I'll have hydro assist. This falls in the "not for me" category.

Detroit Trutrac would be the best bang for the buck. It’s a complete replacement case with gears no clutch crap to wear out. They are used in Military Humvees.

Detroit Trutrac would be the best bang for the buck. It’s a complete replacement case with gears no clutch crap to wear out. They are used in Military Humvees.

read they kinda crap out on anything over 35. I'll have 37s. was leaning that direction, but wanted something with better engagement.

Those axles are what D80s/14 bolts?

I have been through some really tuff stuff Rubicon, Fordyce, Barret Lake it has never failed to perform. As far as strength goes I pulled a YJ with a bent frame and broken rear leaf up Cadillac Hill when I had an open rear diff and front true trac. It’s tuff and I don’t plan on changing it for anything else. Not trying to sell you on it but using a lunch box in the front with 37s could be a bomb waiting to go off and if you want something with no air line or electronics involved the tru trac would be your best option.

ARB front and rear cuz they came with the diffs I got from EricsXJ, along with Yukon's, Warn, discs, armor, etc.
Compressor mounted in rear passenger cubby.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I have a Yukon Grizzly in my rear 8.8 and it only unlocks when I do a U turn other than that it’s like a spool. Driving it in the snow is sketchy it’s like drifting all the time. If the snow is deep like 3 feet it works great but snow and icy roads I am all over the place.

I have been through some really tuff stuff Rubicon, Fordyce, Barret Lake it has never failed to perform. As far as strength goes I pulled a YJ with a bent frame and broken rear leaf up Cadillac Hill when I had an open rear diff and front true trac. It’s tuff and I don’t plan on changing it for anything else. Not trying to sell you on it but using a lunch box in the front with 37s could be a bomb waiting to go off and if you want something with no air line or electronics involved the tru trac would be your best option.

That's an impressive endorsement for the Trutrac. Its interesting to see the range of experiences that people have with Trutracs. Opinions exist at pretty much both ends of the scale, ranging from a waste of money to great stuff.

I have a Yukon Grizzly in my rear 8.8 and it only unlocks when I do a U turn other than that it’s like a spool. Driving it in the snow is sketchy it’s like drifting all the time. If the snow is deep like 3 feet it works great but snow and icy roads I am all over the place.

like that.

That's an impressive endorsement for the Trutrac. Its interesting to see the range of experiences that people have with Trutracs. Opinions exist at pretty much both ends of the scale, ranging from a waste of money to great stuff.

man isn't that the truth. I almost went trutrac for the more LSD type setup up front but saw a video or something where they said it didn't engage in lifted tire situations.

Trutracs front and rear (D30 chromo shafts and reinforced, Ford 8.8 chromo shafts). Modified 5.3l V8 and 33" tires. No problems and don't have to worry about stuff breaking. Moab, Rubicon and some other lesser known trails without really hitting anything i couldn't do. It is a dedicated trail rig originally built for overlanding but i built a newer overlanding rig, now its strictly for four wheeling.

Trutracs front and rear (D30 chromo shafts and reinforced, Ford 8.8 chromo shafts). Modified 5.3l V8 and 33" tires. No problems and don't have to worry about stuff breaking. Moab, Rubicon and some other lesser known trails without really hitting anything i couldn't do. It is a dedicated trail rig originally built for overlanding but i built a newer overlanding rig, now its strictly for four wheeling.

sounds like a solid rig!

Don't know if I would call it a full case locker, but its more substantial that what I consider lunch box locker, Spartan, etc
dbd1cb6b56984ee8462e0b1c67a0c7b9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Grizzly lockers front and rear with 4.88’s, chromos, and 35’s. Went grizzly just out of simplicity and strength. Had a truetrac in front at first but wanted a true locker. Didn’t want to deal with air lines or wires or the added cost of selectables. Obviously they’re ideal when they work but it was a no brainer for me. I will say I can’t really flat tow with the auto lockers though. So I have to trailer it or pull the front shaft out to tow it.

Since a TT stops working if a tire lifts, I guess this means your XJ has enough suspension articulation to keep all four tires sufficiently planted for the trails you've driven? I've been contemplating running TT front and rear (TT already installed at the rear), but I really like the idea of a selectable locker in the front to pull through any unexpected low traction situations.

^^^

It’s definitely interesting seeing the range of experiences with TTs. I’ve had friends tell me “my rear locker is disconnected” and I’ve given it gas over and over watching my front driver not spin. I’ve used the brakes, that doesn’t work sometimes. They just seem to be really overpowered by my 35s in deep snow and some rocky situations I’ve been in. The wheels are planted, they just don’t turn sometimes. Maybe mine are broke. Lol.

Back