• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Lube in the TC?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I would estimate that in the 5 or 6 years I've been lurking on numerous Jeep and off-road forums, I have seen only two or maybe three reports of ANYONE using other than the recommended ATF in the transfer case. If the recommended stuff is working so well for so many people, why take a chance?

BTW ... be sure the article you read wasn't discussing an all gear-driven transfer case. The lubricant requirements for those would be different.

I've been running Mobil-1 ATF in my 98's 231 for the last 170,000mi or so.

Eagle said:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

BTW ... be sure the article you read wasn't discussing an all gear-driven transfer case. The lubricant requirements for those would be different.
I agree with ya, If it ain't broke..........

The TC in the article is a 242 out of an XJ being put onto a ZJ.

in my opinion why would you change the recommended lubricant? 5W30 seems to be an awfully light oil to use in this application. I don't care if it is synthetic or not. I personally don't buy into the synthetic blends being pushed only by the producers of this oil. It may be a superior oil but it can't be worth the money. Routine maintenace with a top brand of oil (except Quakerstate in colder climates) will keep your Jeep running for as long as you want to own it. By the way my brother worked for a oil producer and a rep for their company (Irving oil) has told them that Penzoil is the top brand among producers. I personally like Valvoline. I owned a 1987 Chevette that had 287,000km a 1996 Xj with 316,000km and a 1993 Geo metro that now has 231000km and all vehicles are still running good today. Why buy synthetic?

I like the cleanliness and super detergent qualities of synthetics in addition to its lubrication. I dont care how often you change regular oil you are still going to get sludge no matter what you do. I'm at 194,000mi right now on my 98XJ and that valve train area is as clean as the day I brought it home. I was a diehard Valvoline and Kendall type but no matter what I did with those oils [pretty much pre-synthetic days and the only syn was Mobil-1 and it was BLACK when it came out of the can] you could not keep the sludge out. If you ran quaker state or Penzoil you had this horrific wax build up and exxon was almost as bad, same waxy sludge only with a red tint to it. Just my .02

Back