• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crank, No Start, No Fuel Pump Priming, No Spark, No Gauges

97xj_bandwagon

NAXJA Forum User
1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0 AW4 NP242. I was driving the other day and the jeep was running fine and then cut off with no warning. Wouldn’t start back up but it would crank. The gauges don’t work but the lights in the gauge cluster work. Also the electric fan will kick on every time i turn the key to accessories. I got it home and realized the fuel pump wasn’t priming when I turned the key, but the fuel pump relay would click. So i swapped the fuel pump relay with the ASD relay, still nothing. Also checked for spark and it turned out there was no spark. First thing that came to mind was a bad ground, so i cleaned every ground in the engine bay, that didn’t work. Next i changed the cps, that didn’t work. And then i swapped the ECU, that didn’t work either. Any ideas???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check the orange wire going to the CPS or cam position sensor for 5 volts with the key in the run position. A partial short in a sensor can cause the input voltage to the cps (or most sensors) to be low and can trigger a no bus situation.

May be as simple as fuse issue, check those first.

If you aren't getting five volts (some years it is seven) try unplugging sensors one at a time until the five volts (or seven) returns. Start with the cam position sensor. If you have a sensor short and are lucky, the five-volt power supply shuts itself down as a safety measure and there is no lasting damage.

Back