• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Doing commander headlights on my 88

kosmik

NAXJA Forum User
This is what im working on.
commanderheadlights.jpg

I have done some more fiberglass work on ther hatch. I just want to be different. Do you guys know with the 97 and newer front end if the newer front and rear bumper will fit?
shavedhatch.jpg

"What has been seen, can't be unseen."

All of the '97+ stuff will swap on the front end. You'll want fenders, grill, header panel, etc. The bumper should work too, I know an older bumper will bolt right onto my '98. The rear hatch will not transfer over, neither will the tail lights without some fabrication.
I'd like to see if you can swap the Commander grill over. I really want a Commander, way too much money though.

Out of curiosity, has anyone done (or seen) a comparison of the XK lights vs. the various 6054-derived upgrades available for the XJ? I know that's probably a long shot since 6054s aren't something XK owners would be likely to look into, but going back & forth between the Outback and the XJ has been a good demonstration of the 6054s limitations for me - and while I'd possibly be interested in this as an upgrade would like to see some data before making a decision. I can't imagine that XK lights are cheap.

Are you talking light output in general?

The 6054's can be converted to HID if they aren't sealed (non-H4), not sure of the output for 6054 vs. Commander lights.

For a reference, the non-HID lights on my girlfriend's Explorer outshine my Silvania Silverstars by a TON

I wonder how this will pan out, I also wonder if there is a difference in size between the new Liberty front end and the Commander front end, if possibly a new Liberty front end might be better to use.

Are you talking light output in general?

That and beam pattern, yep. I'm willing to sacrifice a little throw for a slightly wider spread - we've got a pretty decent-sized deer population around here, so being able to tell if one's at the side of the road and about to go kamikaze is just slightly important :)

The 6054's can be converted to HID if they aren't sealed (non-H4), not sure of the output for 6054 vs. Commander lights.

From the 6054 HIDs that I've seen, they're falling short on beam pattern - either the lenses and reflectors aren't shaped to do quite what I want, the physical form of the package is dictating less spread than I'd like, or both. The light itself is definitely much improved, however.

For a reference, the non-HID lights on my girlfriend's Explorer outshine my Silvania Silverstars by a TON

I wouldn't be surprised at all - I've got Silverstars as well, and while they're a huge improvement over stock, they're just not quite where I want them to be overall. Part of this may be mitigated by doing 5-90's wiring upgrade, but part of it is also (I suspect) just down to what's possible within the confines of a 6054's dimensions.

Back