• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 axle question

Sure sounds like it to me. I think that is about as good as it gets.

I will reiterate the suggestion to get new U-bolts. When I removed my first axle one of the U-bolts broke before the nut would start to move. Also note that new U-bolts will probably not come in the exact length you need. Too short won't work at all, so you will probably end up with something that is too long. Plan to cut off the excess. Also note that you will want to re-torque the U-bolts after the first hundred miles.

Another potentially useful tidbit: One way or another you are going to be disconnecting the e-brake cables. I have found that the simplest way to get all three tabs on the cable housing compressed at one time is to use a short (like 1") piece of 1/2" copper tubing cut with a roll cutter. The ID of the copper tubing is a bit too big, and the ID as cut with the roll cutter will probably be too small, but with some judicious deburring you should be able to get it just right. That sure beats trying to work your way around the perimeter trying to get one tab at a time through the hole in the backing plate or bracket.

Oh, and one other maybe useful tip: An old lawnmower makes a reasonable axle dolly: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1143659

Going to use a jack. with a ratchet strap to hold it.

as for the E brake cables.
Im not using the junkyard e brake cables attached. mainly cos I damaged them. after i got annoyed removing them. I tried to cut through them.
didnt go well

I am going to remove the e-brake lines inside the brake shoes.
then attach mine to the new axle.

I bought rough countries extended brake lines.
they are nice quality.

My main quandary right now is that I want that red ARB cover
but its $200
:p

Jeezless H. Chrysler of Highland Park, Michigan on a donkey... leave it to the intertoobz to complicate things... :confused1

I worked at a salvage yard for a bit that dealt with Jeeps and Jeeps only. As others have pointed out, the best way to figure out your gear ratio is by checking your ring gear. There will be two numbers, one will be the number of pinion teeth, the other will be the number of ring gear teeth. Divide them to figure out your gear ratio. Automatic tranny 4.0 XJ's came from the factory 3.54/3.55 gears. Really, it's a toss-up because if you use the method I described, the actual number comes out to 3.545-something. Some folks round that up, some down.

Just because a Jeep SHOULD have X-part or gear ratio in it per the VIN doesn't mean it always does. I took apart one XJ that had 3.07 gears in the back and 3.73's in the front. Probably explains why the gears up front were shattered...

As far as the E-brake cable goes... I can't exactly remember how we got around those. I think we just unbolted them at the tensioner assembly where the brake cable from the handle meets the "wing." Otherwise, you'r looking at taking the rear drums apart to detach the brake cable there.

As far as the E-brake cable goes... I can't exactly remember how we got around those. I think we just unbolted them at the tensioner assembly where the brake cable from the handle meets the "wing." Otherwise, you'r looking at taking the rear drums apart to detach the brake cable there.

A 1/2" box/ring spanner/wrench get the job done.

Back